trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got some questions that I dont really have an answer to, so I decided to ask for help and opinions. Got this Husky 335, I've pressure and vacuum tested both the crankcase and fuel line (fuel line and filter are new). Good to go. Lever is set at right height, fresh carb kit. Lower piston skirt is worn, rings look ok, my guage says pulling 130# of compression. It pulls up to 130# after 3 pulls cold. The problem I am having is it takes about 10 pulls to get it to pop. Once it does if I mive it to fast idle I've got to leave it there for about a minute and after that she runs rwal nice. Before that if I click it to idle she stalls. It sounds like an air leak, but where would it be coming from? Could it be a passage way in the carb that when it gets hot and expands lets more fuel flow by? I know I've got to replace the piston on it, and when I have it apart I'll replace the fuel vent. Thanks in advance...

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
335xpt?

I’ve had one. Don’t want another. [emoji37]

The super weird special crank seals on them are sneaky to leak. $25.50 a side w/bearing (sealed to boot) plus shipping. [emoji90]

Limiters off the carb (also special freakin thing)?

Riches up the low about a half turn.

Burns the back of my hand if I didn’t wear a glove.
22725385ab4909b4258ca237c981c91b.jpg

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah to all of the above. I modified the muffler, opened it up a little under the opening for the muffler. Seemed to do a better job of dispersing the heat. But if it seals up when its hot, why then does it pass a p&v test when its cold? Doesnt make any sense to me... Its not the fuel settings, lord knows I've screwed with them enough to know and why would they get better the hotter the machine got? This ones got me baffled big time..

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
9:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine starts fine if I use it every day, but if it sits for a few days, I pull the cover & air filter & pour a little gas in the carb, then it fires rite up, otherwise starter would be gone soon. I had to replace the impulse line, it was broke off, I don't know how it ran at all, it is behind the flywheel, you have to pull engine out of case.
All that said, I really like this saw, running Stihle PS chain square ground, it's a cuttin little animal.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, your right it does cut good. Might have to try that. I heard the carbs were finicky, but this one takes the cake. Maybe it is all in the carb?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might replace the impulse line. Bout the only thing I havent replaced. It didnt go on that tight but didnt leak either....

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the day these little pups were less expensive than an 020t so the trimmers snapped them up .They did okay for about a year and half then the oilers went south .A new pump shaft was only about 8 bucks but you had to field strip the damned saw to repair it .I've got two of them in the shed,freebies one I repaired and one the engine tied up .The balance is better than a 200T but the power isn't there .

Last edited:

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. But it doesnt cut that bad with a MM. I finally got the carb dialed in, I've never met a carb like that. It now starts on average 6 pulls (regardless of if I let it sit), stays running and if I shut it off starts right up. I'm happy with it but if anything goes south, I'm not so sure that I'll fix it. I've got an engine as a spare, but at $25 a bearing, thats got to be thought out well.