High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husky 288 air filter options?

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like the HD air horn is no longer available, and the HD Filters are not exactly cheap either.

Was looking at the 372 filters, and pondering an adapter to fit one under the high top cover. Spitballing the idea around, of a bolt-on adapter to the air horn instead of the small-ish filter that is there now. Seems an easy evening project for the lathe, a round extension for the HD. Maybe lathe and mill work for the D shape of the 372 filter, which seems cheap as chips in comparison.

I see that the HD filter uses a rubber ring and a clamp to attach. Have not looked hard at a 372 filter yet, but it looks to me like the neck on it (aside from not being round) is a slip on and ( ? ) held on with a spring clip?

Guess I really could look at the parts lists and see for myself.

What options are available other than the stock HD stuff? What could be made to work without chopping holes in anything?

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have the HD (high-rise) top cover, you can fit a variety of filter and adapter combinations under it. I have a non-HD air horn with a velocity stack adapter that allows a guy to run a K&N filter.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard you can adapt a 395 setup but never tried it..

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm the opposite, I love the high top look! I even changed my 365SP over to high top. Plus it's also very practical down here as it lessens the filter cleanings in our dry and dusty conditions. If I can find some spare time (not looking likely any time soon) then I might have a crack at designing an adapter in CAD and 3D print it out. I will use the 372 filter holder style and size as a template if they will fit under the hood.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The low tops are good saws- I knew a guy that commercially thinned with the low top saws and they served him well. There's a little Dremel work that a guy can do on the inside of the low-top style air horn to get more flow.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, for better or worse, I come outta the local saw shop carrying a couple screws to replace the missing ones on my saw, and an OEM HD filter.

Now just gotta work up the enthusiasm to spend a little time carving some aluminum into a Horn adapter.

I have one screw hole that is completely wallowed out from the screw vibrating in the hole, figure to install a plug, drill it and tap it. Or I'll just goober it full of metal filled epoxy, and see how that holds out with screw threads. Suspect "poorly" to be the answer, so may or may not even try that.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, for better or worse, I come outta the local saw shop carrying a couple screws to replace the missing ones on my saw, and an OEM HD filter.

Now just gotta work up the enthusiasm to spend a little time carving some aluminum into a Horn adapter.

I have one screw hole that is completely wallowed out from the screw vibrating in the hole, figure to install a plug, drill it and tap it. Or I'll just goober it full of metal filled epoxy, and see how that holds out with screw threads. Suspect "poorly" to be the answer, so may or may not even try that.

Did a thread on top cover threads a while back, maybe it will help you. http://opeforum.com/threads/2-series-husqvarna-top-cover-thread-repair.6649/

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's a pretty elegant repair, not too complicated, good results!

Got a whack of timesert and Keensert repair inserts here but pretty much nothing at all in Metric. Gawds only know what they all cost new, I salvaged them outta the scrap metal before anyone got ideas to use them as filler in cement.

I am aiming to pretty much just tap out what is there to fit a handy bolt, thread it in and cut it off, then drill and tap that filler. End result about the same, a screw riding in to steel instead of die cast Al/Mg/Pot metal alloy.

Be nice to work a nylon insert in to the thread somehow, but if it was easy or cheap, it likely woulda been that way from the outset.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll hold those options in reserve.

Gonna try and put together (carve out?) an adapter that should attach on to the regular intake horn. Got lots of stub chunks of aluminum round stock that should work well.

Or I end up getting tired of waiting for myself, and just buy it anyway! LOL!