Hunting and shooting thread

RocketRoss57

Taco Bell Aficionado
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best advice with a .450...don’t even think about going through the shoulders on anything if you can help it. Shoot whatever it is behind the shoulders.

Hornady makes subsonic ammo (may not even be on the shelves yet), some other mfg’rs may as well. Just have to take a look online and see what you find.

I'll do some looking. sub sonic may not be so bad. I saw some solid copper rounds at a local shop. Any thoughts on that?

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check out the idiot governor in Va. I am too mad to talk! I have over 20 guns, now I want more!!! Absolutely no sense what so ever! Just-a -waiting!
I heard something was going on in Va but what I heard didn't make sense. I can't find anything on line either.
The bit I heard said something about the governor making it illegal to receive firearms training, which made no sense at all.

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll do some looking. sub sonic may not be so bad. I saw some solid copper rounds at a local shop. Any thoughts on that?
I've shot 3 whitetail with the hornaday blacks, 2 behind shoulder 1 in neck. 2 dropped 1 went 75yds with a blood trail Ray Charles could follow

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if it has been discussed yet but I built a ar15 chambered in .450 bushmaster. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions for ammunition to deer hunt with within 200 yards that I dont need to load for. I'm not set up for, nor do I have the knowledge to do such things.

I use the Hornady black ,250 gr poly pnt

Sent from Hoskey Hills

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heard something was going on in Va but what I heard didn't make sense. I can't find anything on line either.
The bit I heard said something about the governor making it illegal to receive firearms training, which made no sense at all.
look for a forum called Patriot Hangout they keep you updated on a lot of *s-word
The National Gun forum

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the 450 bushmaster sighted in this morning
Went out and sat over cornfield this evening and shot a doe at 100yrds give or take, dropped in her tracks
Shot a buck at 180-200 yrds looking at me he took off trying to run on his brisket but it was in 7ft tall crp couldn’t find him in dark
Go back out in morning and try to find [emoji1696]

Sent from Hoskey Hills

onlybrowning

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have found that heavier, slower bullets tend to be killers but not as destructive to meat. Many times, in my experience, the .30 cal 150 or 165 grain variants moving at a decent clip sure do a lot of damage. Same goes for .27 cal in my experience. I’ve not killed Whitetails with .243 cal, .25 cal, .264 or .284, but I’d bet it’s similar. I used to shoot a .325wsm with 200gr Accubonds and it did a lot of damage too. Velocity and bullet construction are likely the biggest indicators.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I grew up reading Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton, among others. Keith was a eat hunter first, and foremost. He absolutely understood what a lighter bullet moving fast did (per Roy Weatherby's sales schtick), and while it kills very quickly, it can and usually does ruin much meat, especially if near a joint, roast or the brisket. He preferred a heavy bullet, moving slowly, in order to eat clear up to the hole. The old .303 Brit with 170gr rounds is actually a fine hunting round in this vain.

Now, all but 1 of my deer have been taken with the same .243. If I'm running 100gr Hornady Interlocks, then I'll shoot them wherever they present a decent shot, as that heavy for caliber roundnose bullet is stepping out a bit more slowly. If I'm running a 65-90gr pill, then I either shoot them in the lungs, or the head, near the base of the skull, simply to avoid meat loss, as deer ribs aren't worth the effort for me.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have found that heavier, slower bullets tend to be killers but not as destructive to meat. Many times, in my experience, the .30 cal 150 or 165 grain variants moving at a decent clip sure do a lot of damage. Same goes for .27 cal in my experience. I’ve not killed Whitetails with .243 cal, .25 cal, .264 or .284, but I’d bet it’s similar. I used to shoot a .325wsm with 200gr Accubonds and it did a lot of damage too. Velocity and bullet construction are likely the biggest indicators.?

What was the felt recoil like on that .325/8mm WSM? I've been fond of the 8mm for some time, but I've only seen a few and never fired one.

onlybrowning

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What was the felt recoil like on that .325/8mm WSM? I've been fond of the 8mm for some time, but I've only seen a few and never fired one.

Very similar to 300wsm if that helps. It’s a great caliber, but 8mm has never really caught on the USA

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the 450 bushmaster sighted in this morning
Went out and sat over cornfield this evening and shot a doe at 100yrds give or take, dropped in her tracks
Shot a buck at 180-200 yrds looking at me he took off trying to run on his brisket but it was in 7ft tall crp couldn’t find him in dark
Go back out in morning and try to find [emoji1696]

Sent from Hoskey Hills

Did you find the deer? Pictures of the damage if you got them.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you find the deer? Pictures of the damage if you got them.

No blood
No nothing
No deer [emoji2959]

I’m guessing shooting him head on no exit hole [emoji3061]

Sent from Hoskey Hills

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That stinks about the loss...
Very similar to 300wsm if that helps. It’s a great caliber, but 8mm has never really caught on the USA

I've yet to try any WSM, but the old .300 WinMag isn't bad to shoot, so that's informative.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to hunt long range and my weapon of choice is a .300 Weatherby mag loaded with a 180 gr nosler accubond. I've shot them anywhere from 25 yards to 400 yards and there has never been any difference in the size of the entrance and exit holes when you take em through the ribs. Drops them in there tracks.

But last year I shot a deer at 50 yards in the brush thinking yeah I can punch through that. Well I did but it hit a branch on the way in and deflected the bullet. I hit in between the last rib right at the bottom of the brisket.

I don't think I'll post the pictures because it was pretty bad. Let's just say because of the energy I didn't have to cut it open. There was two piles of guts when I was on my way to find it. The funny thing aas that I didn't even hit it there It only went about 75 yards.