How's your burning season going?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Come to think about it planks on old ties would work well too .I've got both .Ties in the woods top soil wouldn't have the tendency to sink like a block .

Woodaddict

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is awesome.

I like the idea but would be worried about the longevity of the blocks because they're not strong with a side load like that, I would hate to come out one day and find the wood all over the ground.
Maybe fill them with concrete after the 2x4's are placed in them.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had stuff up on blocks and after a few years they do sink then you need a pry bar to get them out of the dirt .It take decades for an oak sleeper to fall apart .

OutrageousBob

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New here, New Hampshire. Burned quite a bit early then it slowed a bit. Didn’t burn all that I had for this year which is good. I guess things could change still, 8” of snow yesterday but I’m I good shape. I’m now working on wood for winter 2022

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New here, New Hampshire. Burned quite a bit early then it slowed a bit. Didn’t burn all that I had for this year which is good. I guess things could change still, 8” of snow yesterday but I’m I good shape. I’m now working on wood for winter 2022
Welcome to OPE Sir !

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
People like those newer huskys i just can't
If it's got a primer bulb it's not a saw imho
And it's near the weight of a 266.
:vomiton22je: agreed
455 is like 290's... for sellin'

Winter um... we had winter??...
Burned way less than most years not by volume but by quality. Burned half rotten red oak from everywhere. Going to cut a bit this weekend. Standing dead ones all over the place. Trees are out with buds and leaves on the early stuff. Had a very long late fall here. Now it's mid spring already.

Going to start long single row stack on the high ground in the sun. Noodling the nastys. Running a 6T DR splitter with an accessory table on and under it plus the maul. Nice quiet set up for me at home. Bark goes in the mulch pile.

No burning this weekend with temps in the seventies and more rain coming.

What's new Spike?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:vomiton22je: agreed
455 is like 290's... for sellin'

Winter um... we had winter??...
Burned way less than most years not by volume but by quality. Burned half rotten red oak from everywhere. Going to cut a bit this weekend. Standing dead ones all over the place. Trees are out with buds and leaves on the early stuff. Had a very long late fall here. Now it's mid spring already.

Going to start long single row stack on the high ground in the sun. Noodling the nastys. Running a 6T DR splitter with an accessory table on and under it plus the maul. Nice quiet set up for me at home. Bark goes in the mulch pile.

No burning this weekend with temps in the seventies and more rain coming.

What's new Spike?

Heading into the tail end of the season where round the clock burning is more or less over. Been skipping a morning reload most mornings. Also started to skip some nights like last night after a warm day. Will start a kill the chill fire later today with the rain coming in. This stop and start pattern means I go through more kindling this time of year, but there's plenty of that laying all over the place.

Today's project is to help an older buddy who has run out of wood. Need to cut up a couple of UTV loads for him to finish out the season. There's still plenty of dead ash also laying all over the place around here, so it's easy picken's. Just need the rain to hold off a couple hours after I close at noon and we'll be fine.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heading into the tail end of the season where round the clock burning is more or less over. Been skipping a morning reload most mornings. Also started to skip some nights like last night after a warm day. Will start a kill the chill fire later today with the rain coming in. This stop and start pattern means I go through more kindling this time of year, but there's plenty of that laying all over the place.

Today's project is to help an older buddy who has run out of wood. Need to cut up a couple of UTV loads for him to finish out the season. There's still plenty of dead ash also laying all over the place around here, so it's easy picken's. Just need the rain to hold off a couple hours after I close at noon and we'll be fine.
Hope the rain hold off for you. Yesterday the weather man said no rain till 11 this morning but it started around 7 this morning.:(

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plenty of indoor projects, they just aren’t as much fun.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cut 30/40 dead ash recently
the tops are sketchy now
They'll snap off easily when they fall.20200312_122547.jpgcan't give wood away
Nobody wants to come and get it
I've loaded down the neighbors.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No friends or buddies here to help with wood. The girls might help stack if we have a big pile. Pallets are always here so we never really run out of wood to burn.

Lazy people always complain locally online no wood is available. We never travel very far to find, tree limbs, dead trees, pallet piles, scrap building wood piles, cut offs from construction, packing crates, funiture piles, wood shop scrap, small tree job cleanup... like I said, lazy. They all require work.

OutrageousBob

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today’s start on 2022. Really liking my County Line splitter. Not much else we can do to stay busy so at least I feel a bit productive. Stay healthy everyone! Btw, all red oak!56483CED-ADC2-4240-94C5-41668DC8B6EF.jpeg

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hope the rain hold off for you. Yesterday the weather man said no rain till 11 this morning but it started around 7 this morning.:(

Rain started almost exactly at noon when I left the store! No cutting yesterday...……...

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cut 30/40 dead ash recently
the tops are sketchy now
They'll snap off easily when they fall.View attachment 232793can't give wood away
Nobody wants to come and get it
I've loaded down the neighbors.

Hope you're wearing a hardhat! Those things are downright dangerous here in Ohio now, I'd imagine its about the same in Good 'ol West Virginia!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hope you're wearing a hardhat! Those things are downright dangerous here in Ohio now, I'd imagine its about the same in Good 'ol West Virginia!
Their bad everywhere and so are the maples and white oak from those black beetles. Starting to find them in red oak this past year. Try to burn the them before spring or right in the barrel next to the splitter.
Burning sasafrass and punky maple with the warmer weather.