How's your burning season going?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've burned far less than normal here. I'm actually trying to run completely out, and then clean up the area where I keep my wood. I wanna build some racks so that I can keep the firewood in the barn on, then pick one up with my tractor and bring it to the house as needed. Either that, or I'm going to build a wood shed. A change is coming though.

This woodshed made all the difference for me. No more ice covered tarps! Ran electric out there and can turn on a light from in the house before going out. Can squeeze 5 cords in there if I run another row down the middle. IMG_1318.JPG

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been mild only about 2 cords so far .We got the first significant snow a few days ago 4".

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a similar experience to Bob and Sondre.

Wood use is not down at all, but gas bill is. My insert can’t heat my whole house, so my backup is nearly always on. It’s just on a lot less this year.

I’m almost at the end of 4 cords. I want it all gone before spring so it doesn’t heat me a 3rd time. Unfortunately I have to move my wood twice, the final winter destination is on my deck which is for summer usage. I don’t wanna move any back.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've burned far less than normal here. I'm actually trying to run completely out, and then clean up the area where I keep my wood. I wanna build some racks so that I can keep the firewood in the barn on, then pick one up with my tractor and bring it to the house as needed. Either that, or I'm going to build a wood shed. A change is coming though.
As soon as we get the equipment serviced, I’m building metal racks that we can fork and carry into the shop. Going out with the wheelbarrow is getting old. I also built some racks using RR ties to season wood on. Now if I keep the damn people that camp here from “borrowing” it. Not sure how you borrow fire wood, but had several tell me that when I confront them on it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kind of screwed up this year and didn't get the stacks tarped down soon enough .As a result have had to deal with wet wood .It burns but you have to keep a good bed of coals and a lot of air which about runs you out with the higher temperatures this heating season .On top of that burning a stack of ash I had forgotten some soft maple that almost turns into balsa wood after a few years .It burns but takes a lot of stoking the fire .I've got a trailer full in front of my garage which I may or may not get burned up depending on the weather . If not I'll unload near the fire ring and burn it up this summer on the patio .I'm not going to restack it

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It helps to just get it up off the ground on pallets if nothing else .Pine you might get lucky and get three years out of them .Oak of course lasts longer .

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It helps to just get it up off the ground on pallets if nothing else .Pine you might get lucky and get three years out of them .Oak of course lasts longer .

I've had several runs of oak pallets that I stack on for years. They're pretty done for now. It's past time to police the area and try something new.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've thought about that. It would need to be really stout.
We built dad’s using treated 4x6s he got somewhere for nothing. We spaced them with 2x6 blocks. It allowed airflow from the bottom and we could sweep fines in between the boards and they fell underneath. Side boards were 2x6 spaced apart to allow airflow but keep the wood wrangled in. Large overhang on the shed roof kept it pretty dry.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I burned a couple trailer loads of pallets last spring and have more to do this spring .

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We get used plastic pallets from a sort drink distributor, somebody that works there anyway.
Some have a crack or a slightly smashed corner. They want good ones only for stacking, constant forklift use and sitting in the retail stores.
They gotta look good or they throw them away so we use them to stack wood on.

We have sold less wood this year due to lack of long term cold temps.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had several runs of oak pallets that I stack on for years. They're pretty done for now. It's past time to police the area and try something new.
04a8195851ad3b9fe02722a5e93affdd.jpg

(not mine but always like the idea)

sixonetonoffun

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been burning as much wood as ever. Around 5 cords so far. Like others have said LP is where the savings been. Last fill was before Christmas and just under 70% yet.

Started with 9 cord in the shed. Hope to carry over 2 for next season.