How to square file

junkman

Crush it
Local time
10:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate when that happens. I cut through the screws holding my guide on milling one day with a fresh filed chain.
I got the sparks felling a fir tree on the face cut,not sure if was dirt or maybe a rock ,luckily it was .404 and was able to finish. Just had to dog in a little to cut.

I always get nervous milling close to the screws for my starter boards .

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
1:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the sparks felling a fir tree on the face cut,not sure if was dirt or maybe a rock ,luckily it was .404 and was able to finish. Just had to dog in a little to cut.
I got rid of all the 404 I had. The atihl atuff killed my files and felt like a Jack hammer running

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Douglas Ostrander doing a chain test with his 3120 + 50" bar

oregon 27AX - 49.5
stihl RSLF - 41.8

From Monkey Fest 2017
I was comparing semi to square. Still wonder if cants were greater than 36 inch if the results would be the same. 46RSLF was smoother. Need to try 9 or 10 pin rim. 8 pin did not even slow the saw down. I just let it self feed. Both new chains with one cut before to stretch chain.

Last edited:

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
12:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 rolls of .404 semi skip ,bet your saw shop don't stock that. ;)

oregon? don't think stihl ever made that. how do you like the 404 semi skip? ...my favorite chain. So...ps. you suck! :D

From Monkey Fest 2017
I was comparing semi to square. Still wonder if cants were greater than 36 inch if the results would be the same. RSLF was smoother. Need to try 9 or 10 pin rim. 8 pin did not even slow the saw down. I just let it self feed. Both new chains with one cut before to stretch chain.

Every test I've ever done with semi chisel vs full chisel the semi chisel has been a fair amount slower and more vibes. I'm thinking that rounded edge is just harder to pull through the wood. But stays sharper longer. So at some point it would be faster than full chisel :) I'm sure that could be tested some how :)

Even have a theory that the extra torque of the 661 pulls so hard that it actually quickens how fast 3/8ths full chisel dulls vs a saw with less torque. Thus my move to 404. But my theory is that I could stay possibly stay with 3/8ths if I used semi chisel. That said. I have noticed the semi chisel cuts weird in some wood. Anyone else notice that? Maybe I am overthinking it.

I gotta get some stihl 3/8ths RM + RMF and try some stuff.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well.... Seems like my square filing went from bad to worse. lol
Not sure if I am asking for too much, but could someone who hand files make a quick video of the points and angle aim points for square filing a chain please?
I just need to know where abouts you aim the file and the approximate angle downward and rearward when you hand-file. I appreciate any help and guidance given. I understand the concept behind it, but just can't seem to get it consistently. I have only hand-filed my chain twice, and I am over half of the tooth used.
Looks like I am not throwing out my round files just yet. lol
I am close, but just looking for some pointers and guidance.
Thanks.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well.... Seems like my square filing went from bad to worse. lol
Not sure if I am asking for too much, but could someone who hand files make a quick video of the points and angle aim points for square filing a chain please?
I just need to know where abouts you aim the file and the approximate angle downward and rearward when you hand-file. I appreciate any help and guidance given. I understand the concept behind it, but just can't seem to get it consistently. I have only hand-filed my chain twice, and I am over half of the tooth used.
Looks like I am not throwing out my round files just yet. lol
I am close, but just looking for some pointers and guidance.
Thanks.
Check out John Reilly's channel on YouTube. He has a few vids on there somewhere

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did watch them several times. He makes it look too easy, but I keep f*cking up my chain. Lol
I am just looking for some aim points to aim the file toward. Some guidance if you will.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did watch them several times. He makes it look too easy, but I keep f*cking up my chain. Lol
I am just looking for some aim points to aim the file toward. Some guidance if you will.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Don't know if this will help Jeff. I'll see if I can make a video tomorrow when I knock off. IMG_1293.JPG