Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can also ask Jeremy. He had a very effective race chain on his 7900 at the NY GTG, and said there was a lot of hours in it.

Anything that makes it cut faster (sharper, different angles, smaller foot print by thinning things, etc). It can make a big difference.

Keep in mind they only have to work for a short while. For example, they cut the cooling fins off the flywheel on race saws so they run faster. They don't run them long enough to get too hot.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read in TN gtg thread about spending 25-30 hrs on a chain. Thought it would be better to ask here. What can be done to spend that much time on one?

In the extreme you can build the up entire chain from scratch/individual parts.
The side plates get thinned, dog boned and radiused, rivets shaved back, cutters reshaped/tunneled out and chrome removed, stoning each cutting edge after filing, depth gauges thinned/reshaped.
Who knows what other endless little details...
I've heard of 40-50 hrs on one.

You make it frail and weak, then run it at speeds and hp insanely over what the original stronger version was designed for.
And brace yourself...

Edit; Got me curious. My quick 'n dirty calculations put a cleanly thrown hotsaw chain at similar muzzle energy to 223 rem.
I don't stand in front of those things even at a good distance...

Last edited:

Jswanson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In the extreme you can build the up entire chain from scratch/individual parts.
The side plates get thinned, dog boned and radiused, rivets shaved back, cutters reshaped/tunneled out and chrome removed, stoning each cutting edge after filing, depth gauges thinned/reshaped.
Who knows what other endless little details...
I've heard of 40-50 hrs on one.

You make it frail and weak, then run it at speeds and hp insanely over what the original stronger version was designed for.
And brace yourself...

Edit; Got me curious. My quick 'n dirty calculations put a cleanly thrown hotsaw chain at similar muzzle energy to 223 rem.
I don't stand in front of those things even at a good distance...

Interesting. Now you've doubled the time asked. Lol

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, smack me, kick my azz and call me dumb. For an average firewood cutter like myself, would there be an advantage to square filing or is this more for high performance saws? Thanks.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, smack me, kick my azz and call me dumb. For an average firewood cutter like myself, would there be an advantage to square filing or is this more for high performance saws? Thanks.
Square filed, or ground chain is smooth, durable and faster than round. It is not very common and takes some commitment on your part if you want to switch over. I say it is worth the effort even for firewood.