How to square file

junkman

Crush it
Local time
4:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The angle I file .025-.030 seems to feed best on my last chain test. Does anyone think the angles affect the best raker hight? Or does it not matter much
I aim for 15 degrees on top,and .025 on rakes, i think off the roll rslf is close to 15 degrees

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Stihl still sells "square" files? If so, a part number? Thanks, Ron

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes. Thanks. I thought I would give the local shop a little business as I try my hand at square. If I was smart, I would just send my chains in rotation to mdavlee. Ron

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does Stihl make a flat file for the job? If so, what is the part number? Thanks, Ron

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does Stihl make a flat file for the job? If so, what is the part number? Thanks, Ron
No they dont.. I found some at a dealer just out of luck. You can check the dealers around you to see if they by chance have them. Wish they would make them again, I really like them. I've used valorbe and save edge. I like the stihl files better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When they typed that number in the system it automatically goes to the triangle files. So you might have to go to dealers and have them look for old stock on there shelves. Good luvk[emoji4]
ed4096ede655d848b0825d2dec12dee2.jpg

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. I will try, but given this is the south my dealer would probably only have them if someone ordered them by mistake. The other day I went in to buy a new .404 sprocket. He only had one. He gave it to me. Said he had it for years and I am the only one who has ever asked for one. Ron

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. I will try, but given this is the south my dealer would probably only have them if someone ordered them by mistake. The other day I went in to buy a new .404 sprocket. He only had one. He gave it to me. Said he had it for years and I am the only one who has ever asked for one. Ron
It's the same way up here also. I just got lucky I guess.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The triangle type isn't the easiest to learn with. Fifw
The tri file allows you to get much steeper angles then a flat file without hitting the side links.
But for a work chain stick with the flat chisel bit file.
If you're serious for filing a race chain without practice, put the tri file in a jig.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tri file allows you to get much steeper angles then a flat file without hitting the side links.
But for a work chain stick with the flat chisel bit file.
If you're serious for filing a race chain without practice, put the tri file in a jig.
I'm not smelling what your steppin in ..........

A double bevel file isnt as thick as the triangular (three corner) square file.
The single bevel is even thinner.

The triangular (three corner) square file digs into the tie straps as a result of its thickness, and also can be deceiving as you eye up the corner. I find it to be the most difficult file to square up a chain with.

The double bevel is my favorite. It doesnt flex like a single bevel, and is easy on the eyes as you line up the corner.

The first three pictures of files show the differences these files have
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Files-Filing-Accessories/Square-Chisel-Chain-Files/

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With the triangle I feel I have to lead the angle more to get to fall in the right spot when converting round.
But I do use the triangle on .325 chain. I do have a box of the triangles as that's how I had to order from Stihl so I need to use them on something.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not smelling what your steppin in ..........

A double bevel file isnt as thick as the triangular (three corner) square file.
The single bevel is even thinner.

The triangular (three corner) square file digs into the tie straps as a result of its thickness, and also can be deceiving as you eye up the corner. I find it to be the most difficult file to square up a chain with.

The double bevel is my favorite. It doesnt flex like a single bevel, and is easy on the eyes as you line up the corner.

The first three pictures of files show the differences these files have
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Files-Filing-Accessories/Square-Chisel-Chain-Files/
It's not the thickness of a triangle chisel bit file that hampers getting good aggressive angles on a competition chain.
It's the width of a flat chisel bit file that hampers getting those angles.
That's what I remember from back in the day what I found from advice learned from guys like Ron Hartill, Gary Walrath , Walter Galer to name a few.
If your relying on the width of the file to help guide you free hand then that would not apply to filing race chain.
As you would be running a tri file set fixed in a jig if your serious.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not the thickness of a triangle chisel bit file that hampers getting good aggressive angles on a competition chain.
It's the width of a flat chisel bit file that hampers getting those angles.
That's what I remember from back in the day what I found from advice learned from guys like Ron Hartill, Gary Walrath , Walter Galer to name a few.
If your relying on the width of the file to help guide you free hand then that would not apply to filing race chain.
As you would be running a tri file set fixed in a jig if your serious.
Welp............,,
Nope
I'm trying to get what your saying, but its not makin sense to me Sir.

Here is a picture of a cutter done with a 3 corner ........... the tie strap is in the wayIMG_3543.JPG

When I use a double bevel, its much less tie strap interferenceIMG_3708.JPG
Most of the strap in this picture was taken away from the round file while cleaning up the gullet

I'm sure that I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'll politely and respectfully never purchase another 3 corner file again. I'm going to keep trying to get what your saying Sir, but maybe it would help me to learn a trick or two from you if you could post up a picture or two that shows what your trying to get this lunkhead to see ??

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moparmyway, looks like a .325 chain your filing there, am I correct?
Carlton or Woodland Pro?