High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How to square file

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 219422 That chains for my 3700 so tons of power may be a problem. Guess I'll leave the rakers high and see how it goes.
With the cutters that short and long gullet the rakers in your post at the top of this page the rakers might not be as low as perceived. If the gullet is close to 7/16" an entry angle of 6.5 degrees for the cutter would need a raker set at around 49 thou. That's a bit aggressive but not too bad. You might be right there. 3700 has the torque to handle.

Battle Cross 2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the cutters that short and long gullet the rakers in your post at the top of this page the rakers might not be as low as perceived. If the gullet is close to 7/16" an entry angle of 6.5 degrees for the cutter would need a raker set at around 49 thou. That's a bit aggressive but not too bad. You might be right there. 3700 has the torque to handle.
This is the chain with the short cutters. It's a little grabby in oak but would probably be fine in softer wood. This whole square fileing thing is new to me so I'm just figuring it out as I go.

Battle Cross 2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Longer chips are harder to clear as well. Gullet seems to make a difference in chip length and clearing them out of the cut.
I dont know that I'm looking for longer chips. Just seems to me it would cut better with the rakers a hair lower. The cutters probably aren't perfect either as this is only the second chain I've tried to convert.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Smaller bite = higher in cut chain speed, bigger bite = PH gets pulled down more hence reducing in cut chain speed

Both scenarios can result in a fast bucking cut taking the chain feeds well on it's own, balance between both will be the optimal condition.

Just my observation.

Last edited: