How to square file

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Certainly not for a work chain but these 35 year old diagrams of race chain modifications gives you an idea of the limits.
These are recommended for 60 to 80cc stock appearing saws. Depth gauges never lowered.
Larger displacement saws can have the cutter's working corner further forward.
Probably have a hard time running this chain in a sanctioned Stihl Timbersports competition as their rules normally don't allow chassis modifications.
20190121_165016.jpg

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
5:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great video! Great picture quality up close. I wonder what is the difference in Scott's single bevel file and the Vallorbe 15080 file at Baileys? Bit more expensive now. $22 each. I thought they were about $12 a few years ago.

Not much of anything. The single bevel is thinner and won’t hit the strap as easy. But they flex more if you push hard like I do

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to find my limits with my swing arm for race chain first.
I dont believe that you will find those limits ....................
Here is a very aggressive work grindIMG_2890.JPG

And here is something more for play, although even in frozen oak, she held up for a half dozen or more tanksIMG_2891.JPG

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just found this guy on YouTube. He has two really awesome closeup filing vids showing angles with finished cutters and a file description vid. Everything is all in French. Not understanding what he is saying really does not matter though.

1. Goofy filing.
2. Goofy to single bevel to double bevel.
3. File descriptions.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just found this guy on YouTube. He has two really awesome closeup filing vids showing angles with finished cutters and a file description vid. Everything is all in French. Not understanding what he is saying really does not matter though.

1. Goofy filing.
3. File descriptions.

If you could translate those, I’m sure they’d help a bunch of people.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I like French sooo much in high school that I had 3 years and barely made it through French 2. Your gonna have to find a different translator. The most French that I use now in my conversations is " French Fries"

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I figured it out!!! YouTube has a closed caption translation. You have to watch the videos on YouTube for it to work. Click the settings icon on the video - looks like a gear. Next - go to the subtitle selection and click auto translate. In the drop down select English.

It looks like it is not the most accurate translator so some of the stuff is way off. At least it's something... I only watched about 30 seconds with subtitles. The completely inaccurate translations might give you a chuckle.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really cool vids. Very helpful.
With that said, I wonder which file provides for a better, sharper cutter, or faster cut? Goofy, Single bit, or Double Bit? Looked to me like the single bit provided for a longer, larger file on the side plate. But he did a super job on the underside and corner of top plate.
Thanks for sharing.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Really cool vids. Very helpful.
With that said, I wonder which file provides for a better, sharper cutter, or faster cut? Goofy, Single bit, or Double Bit? Looked to me like the single bit provided for a longer, larger file on the side plate. But he did a super job on the underside and corner of top plate.
Thanks for sharing.

I don't like how the goofy does not hit the side plate. I saw what you did with a single bevel hitting a deeper on the side plate and will have to try some time. I think square filing is kind of one of those things where a person follows the recommendations and guide of other people, practices and figures out their own "style" to end up basically the same place with the correct cutter geometry.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

1. Goofy filing.
3. File descriptions.

Sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher...