ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
11:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Cool!
NOW...... If I could only measure the gullets and stuff. Lol
I just go by feel. How the chain works. Super scientific!
I do the same. Sometimes I have a chain that is performing better than usual, now I can take a look and really figure out the way it is set.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it is, I’m looking for a used grinder at the moment but certainly nothing around HERE. Used.
Keep your eyes peeled. I looked for a couple months. Ended up finding a 450a on Ebay shipped for $550. There are still deals to be had just takes patience.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the mean time I’ll just keep trying to perfect my filing. Been using Stihl hex files for a while trying to do .325 they are just to fat to fit. That and I think I need to make/buy something like homelite410’s chain jig

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the mean time I’ll just keep trying to perfect my filing. Been using Stihl hex files for a while trying to do .325 they are just to fat to fit. That and I think I need to make/buy something like homelite410’s chain jig
Yes his jig is the best! I ended up making something similar to get me by. I was using the save edge files.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Those chain vises are worth every penny.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I forget who, but someone (I believe it was a member here) told me a while ago to set rakers by angle. I used a small magnetic digital angle finder on a piece of flat stock steel ......... never looked back since.

There's a phone app called Angle Meter that is very accurate depending on the phone. It only measures full degrees but still really cool. I was playing with it yesterday. The saw/ bar does not have to be level. Set the phone across 2 cutters. Get that degree usually 1,2,3 off if level. Drop the phone on the raker and see where it is. I found that if the rakerd is flat that had to drop the phone of the chain a very small amount and re file the cutter so the degree measurement is the whole way across the raker.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I the only guy that grinds them flat? Normally takes one tree down to smooth out for the rest of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Am I the only guy that grinds them flat? Normally takes one tree down to smooth out for the rest of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No- most if use get them where they need to be and cut wood... I normally only really measure 1 or 2 cutters and guesstomate the others. The super precise stuff with each cutter and raker is only if I want to do a play/ fun chain.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you think about it, when the cutter is cocked back in the cutting position the square leading corner of the depth gauge is now higher then your "flat" setting.
I always take that leading corner off with a half stroke of the flat at a 45°.
After a hour or so of cutting that leading corner will be polished smooth in a even curve.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Chain vices are nice. But if you can't file on the bar in the shop you'll never be able to do it in the field.