How to square file

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ever measured the result of the soft setting? I was getting chatter which sucks, so I took to measuring my rakers.
How are you measuring your rakers? I've got a depth micrometer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I hanvent I need to most of my saws are AWOL so I've got more power than stock and have a hard to loading them without running an 8pin all the time. I've been tring to load my 2171 lately so to save some bar wear but haven't gotten the chain aggressive enough I guess.
Heck of a problem to have!

Have you ever measured the result of the soft setting? I was getting chatter which sucks, so I took to measuring my rakers.
I think hard is 25. But it's more about the angle of the dangle... @ any rate, that method should stay good with a grinder where all cutters are equal, but if hand filing, if the cutters get different lengths, should start cutting crooked. Which is why I like the progressives.
Why not use one of these? (not my pic)
img_6158.jpg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Straight edge & feeler gauge... Not something I enjoy, don't like the chatter, square chain is known for smoothness !
Like we've been talking about. You could always file or grind it a time or two on a little bit more of a blunt angle and it'll get rid of that choppiness until your tooth is a little bit shorter and the raker becomes taller

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think hard is 25. But it's more about the angle of the dangle... @ any rate, that method should stay good with a grinder where all cutters are equal, but if hand filing, if the cutters get different lengths, should start cutting crooked. Which is why I like the progressives.
img_6158.jpg
I haven't tried one of those I'll have to get one and I sharpen my chains on a simington 450. So they all maintain equal cutter lengths.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

img_6158.jpg

I have one of those. It gives .025 and they cut fine on the dogs, just didn't self feed (probably because of angles) unless I went lower. I need to get the plate tool we have been talking about.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't tried one of those I'll have to get one and I sharpen my chains on a simington 450. So they all maintain equal cutter lengths.

Husky roller guide is a pretty handy quick check tool.

Nice for touching up on a tailgate too.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just go by feel. If it cuts well I just sharpen cutters. Once is starts to slow down I just take a swipe off the raker and try again until I like the way it cuts. Lol
High tech I know.
I'm the same way. Once I take the chain off the grinder, if it doesn't cut it goes to the raker grinder

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to buy or build a raker grinder. What kind do you have?

EBay special.
I grind round customer chains with it and switch to a 1/4" flat wheel tilted 10° for rakers

Screenshot_20181108-194402.png