Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just joking. Come on now. Lol
I forget to add the lol! Pics of the crosscut edge from some of the filers says I have a lot to do to make nicer to work with slabs which will pay off IMHO

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was sharpening round chain tonight so I could test my just built 066, and while digging for files I found a hex Stihl file I bought on a few years ago so I decided to convert a rocked Oregon 72LPX from round to square. This was my first attempt ever and I have never owned square chain so I am not sure how to do it or what it even looks like in person, but I figured I would give it a try. An hour later I ended up with something that I think might cut wood!! There seems to be quite a bit of a learning curve but it was still fun and now I wanna convert more chains. I didn't know how to start but it was easiest for me to file it round at 30 degrees so that I had a guide of sorts to follow with the hex file. They started to look better as I made it further through the chain but it ought to work to get a feel for square filing and I have a ton of tooth left to try again. The bad part is that by the time I got it done it was too dark to test my 066. There is always tomorrow. Any input , opinions, or critiques are welcome. Thanks

acDs3FO.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need a 6 corner file to square file a chain. Called a chisel bit.

weeks auto

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After looking at mine compared to the other pics on this thread it looks like I need to rotate the file to move the corner of the file up to meet the point of the cutter( if that makes sense) Now I have something to do tomorrow eve. I probably need to take it back to round and start over. I should have read more before jumping in. Oh well its practice

Borrowed from the oregon site

Where to Position the Square File
A square file sharpens the top-plate and the side plate, simultaneously.

This creates a line, (A), where the top-plate cutting angle meets the side-plate angle. For best results, file so that the line intersects the cutting corner (B).

file-position-a-440x226.png

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After looking at mine compared to the other pics on this thread it looks like I need to rotate the file to move the corner of the file up to meet the point of the cutter( if that makes sense) Now I have something to do tomorrow eve. I probably need to take it back to round and start over. I should have read more before jumping in. Oh well its practice
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/sharpening-square-chisel-with-3-corner-file.169196/

Not my pic but one from that link.
DSC02997.jpg

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm. OK. Never seen one before. I'll have to pick one up. Thanks Kevin.
I wonder if they last longer than a chisel bit file?

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Send @Definitive Dave an note. Get a couple. Dont practice on Stihl chain and dont worry about farkin a chain.

You can always file it round again.

If this advice comes for me. Thank you very much. I ll buy an Oregon brand chain. Should i order full chisel or something else? I m talking about 3/8 0.63 for a start afterwards i ll go for the 325
Thanks again