Reaction score
Country flag

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I edited it out. Didn't think anyone wanted to see that...
:facepalm:
fainting-smiley-emoticon.gif

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ordered an archer. Will try to file it up and see how it goes.

Well I got the Archer 3/8 low pro chain in today. It looks fantastic! Sorry I said I was going to square it up but can't find a reason to mess up a factory grind that looks like this. Really cool aggressive angles.DSCN6183.JPG DSCN6184.JPG DSCN6185.JPG

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I got the Archer 3/8 low pro chain in today. It looks fantastic! Sorry I said I was going to square it up but can't find a reason to mess up a factory grind that looks like this. Really cool aggressive angles.View attachment 119276 View attachment 119277 View attachment 119278
I've been running a lot of it in full 3/8 and haven't had any problems out of it. Once square ground I hardly can tell a difference in it or anything else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty cool looking tooth. How does it compare to hardness with Stihl, Carlton, and Oregon?
I'd say comparable to oregon. It didn't cut very well out of the box. I can't remember if it was the grind or raker height. I ended up Square filing mine and setting the rakers and thought it was a very nice cutting chain for the price paid.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I couldn't resist. Archer 3/8 low pro square. Sorry I have bad lighting. Tried using a led flashlight but pics still not too good. It kept focusing prior to the corner. I guess you have to take my word. The corners are sharp and with no beak either way. The only bad thing about the Archer is due to the grind it takes about half the cutter from the tip to witness mark to get a flat outside plate. Only 58 cutters to go - had to do 2 of each to see if I could duplicate.

DSCN6186.JPG DSCN6193.JPG

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn't resist. Archer 3/8 low pro square. Sorry I have bad lighting. Tried using a led flashlight but pics still not too good. It kept focusing prior to the corner. I guess you have to take my word. The corners are sharp and with no beak either way. The only bad thing about the Archer is due to the grind it takes about half the cutter from the tip to witness mark to get a flat outside plate. Only 58 cutters to go - had to do 2 of each to see if I could duplicate.

View attachment 119295 View attachment 119296
Looks good. When I convert, I only take 3 or 4 swipes off. Its not completely square yet, but still better than round

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 119295 View attachment 119296
That looks real nice. Whatchu have the chain pinched in there?

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That looks real nice. Whatchu have the chain pinched in there?

Blue Point / Snap-On VGP 12808 sheet metal pliers. They were less than $25 shipped. The only reason I remember the price is I won a $25 online visa card and that's what I purchased. I researched sheet metal pliers pretty heavy before I decided on these. They clamp in the vise real nice, sit high enough that you do not hit the vice and able to do 2 cutters comfortably before having to move the chain.

DSCN6194.JPG DSCN6195.JPG

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blue Point / Snap-On VGP 12808 sheet metal pliers. They were less than $25 shipped. The only reason I remember the price is I won a $25 online visa card and that's what I purchased. I researched sheet metal pliers pretty heavy before I decided on these. They clamp in the vise real nice, sit high enough that you do not hit the vice and able to do 2 cutters comfortably before having to move the chain.

View attachment 119316 View attachment 119317
Very nice. Looks like they have a sharper bevel than the vise grip style.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very nice. Looks like they have a sharper bevel than the vise grip style.
That's one part that I liked. The main part I liked was the construction with the flat jaws with more surface area for the vise to grab. The vise grip brand had less flat area and are more rounded where they go in the vise.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This was an idea after I sharpened one of my knives with a ceramic rod. Homemade 5" long ceramic tile honing stone. The tile piece was cut 45 degrees so the back had the 135 angle like a square file. Then thinned down and slightly trimmed up. I tried to get the same angle and zoom for the pics. The corner was hit with about 20 strokes back and forth while pushing up in the corner then about 20 strokes back and forth with wd40. The top plate and corner is at least twice as sharp as just with the file. Hard to tell with the side plate. I do not think it is some thing I would do unless I was going to race a chain.

Before
DSCN6203.JPG
After
DSCN6211.JPG
Ceramic tile hone - piece on the left.
DSCN6212.JPG