High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How to square file

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
8:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I looked over my rocked chain real good. I found a couple of links that looked wonky. I filed them flat.
I went ahead and practiced a bit further. I personally am happy with my progress.
I thank everybody for kicking in and helping me out. It is appreciated more than you woll ever know.
The photo is a bit deceiving with the glare. But it is actually a fairly decent corner.
1aff6da9455f5a0b24bfc78f17c18123.jpg
1f52b4b41e9fdef20068842b25d79baa.jpg

Nice and sharp! Looks like you might be doing the same thing that I catch myself doing on the outside edge - shows up in the second pic. I start with the filing thinking I have the tilt towards the cutter, angle down and angle back correct and start seeing things developing that I do not like such as the wrong angle on the top plate. Then I make adjustments to correct which gets the angle things strait but leaves 2 different angles on the face of the inside cutter.

Thanks. I am not in your league yet, but I think I am getting it.
When you file for 2 hours, it gives one's self a whole new respect for guys that file race chains and good work chains.
Heck, I just do it for the love of it and to learn. [emoji2]

I feel ya. I now have several hours in a chain and numb thumb tips. I will keep practicing and learning along with you.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Yup!
That chain was a round file that I converted to square. But I am learning the angles now. How to get rid of beak .
Funny thing, my chain cut like a complete animal for the 2 cuts that I made before my chain derailed. Way faster than my round filed chain. I have a nice 16" square filed chain that I will save for a GTG Race file chain. Lol
Thanks again everyone for the help and guidance.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked over my rocked chain real good. I found a couple of links that looked wonky. I filed them flat.
I went ahead and practiced a bit further. I personally am happy with my progress.
I thank everybody for kicking in and helping me out. It is appreciated more than you will ever know.
The photo is a bit deceiving with the glare. But it is actually a fairly decent corner.

Your coming along nicely.

Just need a saw that'll pull it like it should now. :sisi1

and numb thumb tips.

@MustangMike 's paint stirrer trick helps with that.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I thank everybody for kicking in and helping me out. It is appreciated more than you will ever know.

Looking good! Good job!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TY sir.
One of the biggest things I have noticed, is when I square file, I really make lots of metal filings and the teeth disappear much quicker than round filing.
That could be the deal breaker for me. [emoji52]

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
TY sir.
One of the biggest things I have noticed, is when I square file, I really make lots of metal filings and the teeth disappear much quicker than round filing.
That could be the deal breaker for me. [emoji52]
That's because you're learning, eventually that will get better.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just for fun. Once I get my filing down a little better and a little more time I am going to create ceramic honing stones out of ceramic tile with the same angles as a square file to hone the corners - 90 degree isosceles triangle on the end. I figure if ceramic is good enough for knife sharpening why not try it on a chain.

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for fun. Once I get my filing down a little better and a little more time I am going to create ceramic honing stones out of ceramic tile with the same angles as a square file to hone the corners - 90 degree isosceles triangle on the end. I figure if ceramic is good enough for knife sharpening why not try it on a chain.
What grit will it be?o_O

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What grit will it be?o_O

I'm thinking around 1000 +/- 200ish depending on how smooth I can cut the tile on the wet saw and rubbing them together for a final finish. Most regular ceramic sharpening rods are 1000 - 1200. If the original compound in the tile ends up a little more coarse it should still work. With them being that high they might be able to be used for a final edge and tuning up after a couple tanks of fuel rather than a file and loosing more cutter. The only reason I know the tile may work is we were doing tile work at camp and grabbed a couple small tile pieces rubbed the cut ends together and sharpened a couple kitchen knives. Just for grit comparison I use 600 grit and wd40 to finish my axe edges. They are nasty sharp.