How to feel dead trees with few limbs

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some dead trees, mostly white/red oaks killed by drought years ago, still standing, nothing left but main trunk and the few main branches sticking up out of that. These include 20"DBH, maybe even bigger, so, still pretty tall, maybe 50'-70' still? How to fell, being concerned that simply the vibration from making the cut could unluckily cause a limb to fall? Or is that nonsense, the branches should hold fine? The ones sticking OUT are no problem, the ones that go close to vertical could fall on me.

I'm not sure I am keen on doing this alone, as I can't look at the kerf and look up at the same time. If I get a helper spotter, should he just stand by me looking up and tap me on the shoulder or should he hold a string tied around my waist, lol? To signal that there is movement, scram! Does this sound ridiculous? I dunno, I have known a couple guys killed by trees. The unexpected can happen.

If I need to tie a rope, how could I get a line up into the tree? I bought one of those 1 lb pouches tied to 150' feet of 1/8" line to throw over limbs for other more 'normal' trees, plus, 200' of high quality arborist rope but I am wondering how one could do it since there are no smaller limbs. Maybe I could find a branch that is not so vertical that I could get a line over it and have it hold.

Or would you skip the rope idea and just fell it? I have felled a few of these 'snags' but now I am getting more nervous, lol, thinking this is not such a good idea! I hate not being able to look up as I cut. It's also hard to hear a limb crack with a saw running. I wear ear protection but I might could forego it on one of these cuts.

If this buddy idea has some merit, I hope that human reaction time will allow us to get out of the way of a falling limb if one were to fall.

Last edited:

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If this buddy idea has some merit, I hope that human reaction time will allow us to get out of the way of a falling limb if one were to fall.
no chance IMO, just make it likely to hurt someone else. i seriously doubt vibration from the cut could cause any decent size limb 50’ up to break off.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cut them at chest height, makes you a smaller target. Wear a helmet and look up a lot! Forgot about having anyone warn you but have some help available. Being oak I wouldn't worry too much but don't get complacent.
Try to dump them into the biggest open hole you can. The less they hit on the way down the less shít is gonna break off.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I usually pull on them with a rope tied to a lugall or a truck. Now if they can be dropped without a climb...grab the pulleys and rope sometimes. The object is to get the tree out from over your head but remember it is now loaded with tension. Usually they break or uproot while your loading it if they do at all. I pull extra far first. If they don't break and fall just release it and make your cuts then pull it over. Takes time and patience. It does keep you clear of falling dead limbs and chunks, the killers, most times.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh yeah....start with a fishing pole, an old real, some Dacron, kite string or fat fishing line and a large steel ring two to three inches round in diameter. They tend to not get caught in the crotches when hauling back the shot line.
Or hire someone else to fell or rent a lift for the weekend.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh yeah....start with a fishing pole, an old real, some Dacron, kite string or fat fishing line and a large steel ring two to three inches round in diameter. They tend to not get caught in the crotches when hauling back the shot line.
Or hire someone else to fell or rent a lift for the weekend.
Those tow behind lifts are slick. I've used one for trimming. The rental fee is way cheaper than a trip to the ER. Lol

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Common practice for myself and a couple other firewood hacks around my area. Rope or chain the tree as high as you can get. Attach it to a vehicle (6000lb or better) or tractor. Give it a couple of tugs. It usually takes care of anything loose. Those dead limbs are killers and widow makers. More cautious the better. Wish I had a bucket truck to limb them before dropping.

Now my neighbor had a different/ faster/ easier way. He would raise the bucket on his big front wheel assisted case tractor. And he would nudge the tree a couple of times. Worked good until a 6" limb came through the roof of the cab. He didn't get hurt luckily, and he doesn't do that anymore.

Whatever you do take the extra time and evaluate the situation fully before you make a cut.

Steven

foeke

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just be very carefull. The only real accident I had was from a dead standing, maybe 7" (20cm) tree.
Tilted a couple degrees, easypeasy.
In hindsight, a woodpecker made a nest in the middle.
Top got stuck when falling-->tree folded 180 degrees and the top smacked me right on my helmet. Not even 2" thick, but I was out for a couple of seconds.
Since it doesn't have branches, leaves or flexibility, if it lands, it will come way harder than expected.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What you have to worry about is snapping a branch or the whole top from the inertia of the fall .I use a snatch block and a double pull line with a 90 degree redirect from the hinge .It will follow the hinge .Making the back cut, just as soon as it starts to open up get the hell out of dodge,pronto .It usually does not take much of a tug from whatever you use to pull a safe distance and direction away .

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a very dead and rotting 15” oak in my backyard that’s calling my name. I’ve decided against messing with it because it looks like Mother Nature will finish the job without endangering the house. I have nightmares about only two things , fear of heights and being hit on the head and killed by a damn tree.
To date, I have not felled a large dead tree.
I have been told that around here that the tops of these trees will fall out first on their own and then it’s “safe” to cut them down. Then I just now read about the woodpecker nests half way up. Okay, that’s probably why the tops fall out, but I think the trunk could just as easily fold up and spoil your day. Call me a pussy all day long for walking away, that’s ok. I will live another day. Pretty scary stuff for me.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a very dead and rotting 15” oak in my backyard that’s calling my name. I’ve decided against messing with it because it looks like Mother Nature will finish the job without endangering the house. I have nightmares about only two things , fear of heights and being hit on the head and killed by a damn tree.
To date, I have not felled a large dead tree.
I have been told that around here that the tops of these trees will fall out first on their own and then it’s “safe” to cut them down. Then I just now read about the woodpecker nests half way up. Okay, that’s probably why the tops fall out, but I think the trunk could just as easily fold up and spoil your day. Call me a pussy all day long for walking away, that’s ok. I will live another day. Pretty scary stuff for me.
Interesting screen name for a guy with fear of heights... odd but I dont like heights either but love flying.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did fly for a living, now I fix em. Flying only bothered me a little at first when learning. But I have never gotten over the paralyzing fear of crawling out a window (or up a ladder) to get on the roof. Just ain’t gonna happen no more.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These trees I posted about are in the woods. Also, there will be more of them in the future, trees die. So, calling a tree guy, that doesn't really dollar up good. I have no idea what they'd charge to fell a tree. I don't even know if they'd do it, I only have hiking/ATV trails.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hit any questionable ones with a 12 ga slug from a safe distance :biggrin:.:camper:

If that doesn't break it loose, saw vibrations from 60 to 70 feet away probably won't do it either. lol

j/k......probably not a good idea.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Option 2........... lots of Tannerite. :headbang: