High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

American Piddler

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
First off thanks for having me been lurking and finally registered! I like to piddle around with just about everything and anything! Hence I created a YouTube channel where I share my projects and ideas! Follow the link to the latest episode!
This episode of American Piddler I discuss how to Actually tune a chainsaw... I start by turning the screws all the way in and working my way out obviously starting with the idle then the low speed then the high speed and warn of the dangers of learning a saw out too far! Follow the link for the episode!

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First off thanks for having me been lurking and finally registered! I like to piddle around with just about everything and anything! Hence I created a YouTube channel where I share my projects and ideas! Follow the link to the latest episode!
This episode of American Piddler I discuss how to Actually tune a chainsaw... I start by turning the screws all the way in and working my way out obviously starting with the idle then the low speed then the high speed and warn of the dangers of learning a saw out too far! Follow the link for the episode!
Welcome!

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
3:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the site.

I’m gonna have to say I disagree with your video.

IMO. The only proper way to tune a high end on a saw is to do it in the cut when the saw is warm. Especially on rev limited saws.

Here’s a good vid of of that being done.
@blsnelling hope ya don’t mind me swiping a vid. :)

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are also a few vintage saws that have governors in the carb and should not
be adjusted on the bench. Starting points can be done on the bench but final adj
need to be under load in the cut.

David _4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree, the only way to truly tune a saw is in the wood.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with most all posts so far. I think his video is helpful to alot of viewers. I generally dont screw in the idle screw like he does either. I also think alot of people can do well by lightly seating the l and h jets recording the settings and reset them to a factory setting or a half turn richer would be a good start. Find a rich and lean idle set just barely on rich side for quick throttle response. Then set idle screw for no chain creap then set high side like Brad showes. I dont think there is any point is starting and running engine with terribly lean settings and idle screw burried. Starting near a factory setting is generally a good place to start out as if it runs very porly at a factory setting you know it may need a kit. Nice video none the less and im sure there is thousands of people that can find good info from it and alot of viewers will likely end up with a better performing saw and know the sound of a lean scream or rich or boggy sound and know to stop and fix it.

Last edited:

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
3:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mitch does a good job too, but I find the audio quality in a lil poor for the tone deaf like me.
Lol. I almost posted this one but brads was short and to the point. And ya can really hear what he’s doing.
I think maybe it’s andyshine that does one on a 7900 that’s good too. But don’t quote me on that. Somebody does a good one with a 7900. Brad does one on maybe a 440/460 as well that easy to hear.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
YouTube advertising for 'hits' on ones channel is all this post is. I didn't & won't be watching the vid. Now ^^ that's 2 from 2. Your only 2 posts are links to already posted stuff on YouTube. Nup, not falling for that one. Borderline SPAM.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I tune a chainsaw diaphragm carb, it is a bit more than just tweaking some screws on the side of the carb. It involves getting a feel for the power curve and where I can change the low speed circuit and high speed circuit to get a better overall powerband (in other words, you may have to drill some metal). I also have to adjust the metering spring and perhaps the transition orifices so that I can get a 'light switch' kind of throttle response.

Ya gotta get the 'feel' for what is happening with the fuel mixture, there is only a handful of blokes on this forum that have spent some time working up the experience to have that kind of 'feel' - now THEY can tune a carb.

It is not something you can communicate in a quick video about tweaking a screw.