High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How i measure chain cutters. Keeping it equal.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . I recently broke down a picked up a Timberline sharpener . . . does anyone have tips on matching the second side to the first.
Drew,

Do a search specifically for 'Timberline chainsaw sharpener'; there have been several threads on this and other forums, which might have specific information. I have only used it incidentally, and do not have any tips to offer. Obviously, the cutter angles will be consistent, due to the design of the sharpener, but I can't offer any advice on cutter lengths, other than what is listed above, in this thread.

Philbert

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
10:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutter length being the same doesn’t matter... I can file half the cutter off on one side of a new chain and as long as the rakers are all the same height... it’ll cut straight. Raker height matters more. Use the same amount of swipes or a gauge for even rakers.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutter length being the same doesn’t matter... I can file half the cutter off on one side of a new chain and as long as the rakers are all the same height... it’ll cut straight.
That's a 'parlor trick', and it's based on ALL of your Left cutters being the same, and ALL of your Right cutters being the same: the focus of this thread.

If cutter lengths are all over the place, the chain may still cut, but not as smoothly. Rationale in earlier posts.

Philbert

Skisawyer

chain rook
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutter length being the same doesn’t matter... I can file half the cutter off on one side of a new chain and as long as the rakers are all the same height... it’ll cut straight. Raker height matters more. Use the same amount of swipes or a gauge for even rakers.
Buckin’ Billy Ray has a vid of this exact condition, a rocked chain on a 24-32” bar, unsure exactly how long, but a big bar, and once he sharpened it he was back cutting big wood straight as an arrow. I couldn’t believe it myself, but the video showed it. I should track that clip down for everyone...