How are the Asian 660s holding up???

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But it sounds like they have the high output one dialed in.

I think i have a spare I can work on so I can start from scratch. When I did my 2188 pump, there was nothing to getting 2 tanks of oil to a tank of gas.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need to increase the ramp on the plunger (by using a cutoff wheel to increase the angle on the low side) and offset on the screw (by making the nub smaller) by .010-.030 then they oil like a husky. Also, the rim size does not affect oil output. It doesn’t drive the oil pump, only the chain. You do need more oil output for 8 and 9 pins though. This is because of the increased friction from the higher chainspeed.

Last edited:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had pretty good luck so far modding the oil pumps you really have to keep an eye on you're oil level if you do it right.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure that the hole in the bar is not the restriction. I've drilled some of them out. I think the Stihl Light bars are especially stingy.

vpd66

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pressure/vacuum test your oil tank and make sure the vent isn't plugged. You can modify the oil pump all you want but if it can't draw the oil out of the tank it won't work. The fuel tank vent and oil tank vents from Hutzl on the 3 saws I put together were all junk.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I burnt up the big rod end bearing running a 36" bar fully buried. Put in new crank bearings and seals. Added oem small end bearing. 2 tanks later piston ring broke in exhaust side. Have next piston to go in with caber rings and oem c clips. Good thing I have other saws and had that mindset going in.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got back from the wedding over weekend just in time. UPS showed up yesterday with this 660G.

Thanks Lucas and Manny for the chainsaw to shakedown on the chainsaw repair group on FB and see what they are about finally too.
Will try and get with a friend I sold one of my stock 660 too to compare someday too.

I squirted mix in the plug hole while changing plugs out. Just didn't want to be pulling over dry.
Just tested and tuned before and during cuts.

I did pull and put my own sparkplug in it.

Cuts as should and works as should. Was actually impressed with it for stock saw. Even got her set fat for now.

Cant tell any difference in it and the last used stihl 660 I sold in the cuts.

I even liked that stock chain they sent with it out of the box.

Looks like a sugi copy bar.

24" buried dry ash

Been reading and learning about them on their FT FB group and just seen this here too. So stopped to read some.

View attachment 200425 View attachment 200426 View attachment 200427 View attachment 200428 View attachment 200429

How is that pre assembled saw doing? Any issues? They were briefly for sale for $280 (no shipping cost).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would lightly sand them with some fine paper, or hit them with a diamond ball on a Dremel. The problems on most of the AM cylinders have been the bottom of the exhaust port (the part you can't see). Feel it with you fingers, and make sure it is beveled.

Plating is very hard, and not easy to bevel.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What oil ratio were you using? I'm using 32:1, so hopefully if anything the piston bearing is the one to fail, I'm not thrilled about replacing the crank.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What oil ratio were you using? I'm using 32:1, so hopefully if anything the piston bearing is the one to fail, I'm not thrilled about replacing the crank.
40:1 Maxima K2 syn. There was plenty of oil in the bottom and top end, the rollers seemed like they melted down and it just stopped with weird noise and felt like low comp when I pulled it over.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How is that pre assembled saw doing? Any issues? They were briefly for sale for $280 (no shipping cost).

I'm still having good luck still. Only things I changed was plug and decomp.

I thought I was getting a air leak the other day while cutting on pto side. But it was just because of that dang stihl fuel line hanging halfway down. :risas3: Wish they was longer to reach all areas of tank like other saws.

Still using the afm carb. Saw when starts seems real fat on cold start but clears up. Never had any of my oem act like that.

Hand sharpen the chain. It's soft cutters IMO but cut good out of the box and once touched up.

g660.jpg hzchain.jpg