How are the Asian 660s holding up???

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got to looking at the cylinder that came with my kit, and they didn't hone the upper 1/4" of the cylinder, and the plating has a hole flaked off up there too. Junk :(

If you need one of their cylinders, just let me know. I have only used Cross + OEM, I have several of them.

However, I think they make the 460 cylinders I have, and I have used 2 of them w/o any issues.

I think most of them will be OK with a Meteor piston, if you check all the bevels and make sure they are OK.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there some special trick to get the spark plug out easily? I have to loosen the cylinder cover then wiggle it around while trying to get a plug wrench in there. Each time it seems like I'm lucky the wrench even fits. Then unscrew the plug by hand and finish taking the cover off.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it’s just the spark plug hole in the cover I’d take a dremel to it and make it a little bigger so the scrench fits. Especially if it’s a China cover on a 660 clone always the best fitment on Parts.
Had to do that on both of mine. No big deal.
Shep

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Especially if you delete the base gasket, you often have to enlarge the bottom end of the hole.

Usually you notice that when you install the plug!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally got around to looking at my oil pump, it appears the adjustment screw cam angle is off, so max flow is actually minimum, well... past minimum, so it starts to increase again slightly, and max (in the min direction) doesn't reach maximum.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually it appears the cam doesn't even touch the shaft, instead the larger part which is not off center touches the shaft. Or am I not seeing something? This design of oil pump is non adjustable.

DSC02785.JPG

DSC02786.JPG
A lot has now been explained

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't, I just ground a steeper angle on the gear shaft than I had before.

I also wonder how well adjustment would work, since Stihl pumps seem to change the end points of the stroke without changing the stroke length, while Husqvarna changes the stroke length which is the obvious way to do it.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just reread the o44 oiler mod by Kevin, just to refresh my aging memory :oops:
I see why you did the control bolt now.. and how it affects the pump..

I had forgotten all the bits I had done to my am 660 oiler..
added a link to save anyone a searchin ;)
http://opeforum.com/threads/stihl-044-oiler-mod.9271/

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First problem I've had in a while. I was installing a huztl High output pump to test beside my oem high output.

The oem pick up tube was cut and went into tank. After further investigation I noticed the edges around hole were like a razor blade it was even able to peel a layer of skin off my finger. I ended up taking the edge off and threw the original pick up line back in. I'm glad I kept it in my tool cabinet.
DSC_0114.JPG
DSC_0115.JPG
DSC_0117.JPG

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got back from the wedding over weekend just in time. UPS showed up yesterday with this 660G.

Thanks Lucas and Manny for the chainsaw to shakedown on the chainsaw repair group on FB and see what they are about finally too.
Will try and get with a friend I sold one of my stock 660 too to compare someday too.

I squirted mix in the plug hole while changing plugs out. Just didn't want to be pulling over dry.
Just tested and tuned before and during cuts.

I did pull and put my own sparkplug in it.

Cuts as should and works as should. Was actually impressed with it for stock saw. Even got her set fat for now.

Cant tell any difference in it and the last used stihl 660 I sold in the cuts.

I even liked that stock chain they sent with it out of the box.

Looks like a sugi copy bar.

24" buried dry ash

Been reading and learning about them on their FT FB group and just seen this here too. So stopped to read some.

hzchain.jpg hz660g.jpg hz6660gg.jpg hzbar.jpg hz24buried.jpg

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a fix for the hard to turn tensioning system? First of all, I removed the black bar plate screw since it was misaligned preventing the bar from sitting flat against the plate. Now the tensioner wants to drive itself out of its pocket, and it is really hard to turn especially when they chain is nearing the proper tension. It has plenty of lube.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Often the shaft on the smaller gear has to be shimmed. Unfortunately, they are almost all different, so you often just have to experiment with them.

Often shimming the small end of the small gear shaft with a piece of thin cut flashing will work. Another person purchased some tubular stuff.

The reason it is jamming is the gears are not properly aligned. Don't force it or you will be buying new parts, look at it and try to make it right.

Often, the problem is the case, so buying OEM will not fix it.