High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All that sounds terribly complex for a machine that has 2 functions.
Forward
Reverse

Lol..

My only suggestion would be a cylinder with a large ram to cylinder ratio. "Fast retract"
A 22gpm pump with 2 stage
And 3/4" lines

Go split wood.

^^^^this

See ram size to cylinder size ratio----11hp, 16gpm pump, 4 second stroke:

http://www.eastonmadewoodsplitters.com/ultra.html

there is a video on the page

Last edited:

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^this

That looks pretty stout, but I don't see myself horsing 100 lb. rounds up on to a horizontal splitter for very long. I like the vertical orientation, because all ya gotta do is roll it over there, tip it up, and slide it into place. FWIW

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Vertical is ok for the really big stuff, but you spend most of your time on your knees or hunched over while doing your splitting. I don't know how old your knees and ankles are, but it gets pretty painful after a while for me.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vertical is ok for the really big stuff, but you spend most of your time on your knees or hunched over while doing your splitting. I don't know how old your knees and ankles are, but it gets pretty painful after a while for me.
I agree. I think I'm gonna put a lift on this splitter and maybe a gantry like dougs has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree, too. I ran a Verticle once for about 8 hours sitting hunched over. Was not a happy camper. I'll take a horizontal any day. If the round is too big to pick up, noodle it.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree, too. I ran a Verticle once for about 8 hours sitting hunched over. Was not a happy camper. I'll take a horizontal any day. If the round is too big to pick up, noodle it.
I'm not trying to run down John, either, for getting his splitter. I think that's primarily the only type you can get today at a reasonable price. I will never run down another person's choice of equipment. But I think most will agree horizontal is the way to go. Somebody brought a home made verticle to a gtg at Matt's once. Now that was a nice one. It was waist high during use and folded flat for transportation. I've thought about doing that with mine, too.
I'm still thinking on it.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to put a bigger table on mine this year.
Work tables are awesome.

^^^^this

Those guys know splitters.

That looks pretty stout, but I don't see myself horsing 100 lb. rounds up on to a horizontal splitter for very long. I like the vertical orientation, because all ya gotta do is roll it over there, tip it up, and slide it into place. FWIW

After a few cords, you may re-engineer what seemed best at the time.
Everything is a work in progress.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not trying to run down John, either, for getting his splitter. I think that's primarily the only type you can get today at a reasonable price. I will never run down another person's choice of equipment. But I think most will agree horizontal is the way to go. Somebody brought a home made verticle to a gtg at Matt's once. Now that was a nice one. It was waist high during use and folded flat for transportation. I've thought about doing that with mine, too.
Brent custom built that one.
It was cool.
If he knew anything about hydraulics, he'd be dangerous. Lol.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My point was speed, without being too complicated, as Matt made reference to. I see no reason it couldn't be done on a vertical/horizontal machine. In fact, it has been done on a vertical-only machine.

But I am with you on lifting big rounds to the horizontal position----it isn't going to happen.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 107158
Picked this little bugger up from Dustin a few weeks back. No ignition system except for the laminate core for the coil. And no carb. Sawnami was gracious enough to dig up a coil that fit the core. Dug through "the pile" and found a nova coil from diggersdad. Put the ignition together this evening and spun it with a drill. GOT SPARK!!!
Now I need a tillotson HL type carb.
Well, I spoke too early. I have spark at one plug. Made a 1 into 2 coil/plug wire and no joy to second plug. Should've figured that. If one wire has more resistance, the juice goes the other way. Have to figure out something else.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I got to use the machine for a couple of hours today, and yeah, I was kneeling for most of it, but I didn't mind a bit. Turned a bunch of big elm logs, some knotty and gnarly as heck, into stove pieces. Pretty fun, impressive power. Loud pops on some of them when they let go. Did a few of the big maples just for kicks, and no way I'd be horsing those up there on horizontal. I can difinitely say a timesaver would be to split right by the stack, because I made a rick as tall as me. Now I have to move it and actually stack it.

Mine goes either horizontal or vertical, but I haven't even install the little log catcher that goes over the motor in horizontal mode. I'l post a pic later; I don't like typing on my phone.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
540af43f97779b887b49deb279210c8b.jpg
2ffa30ae2f968a9344ec2709426e0fe6.jpg

That knotty rectangle made eight stove pieces in short order.

I don’t mind noodling, I do it on a tarp for fire starter. But I have no problem bending over or kneeling, except it seems it might be dangerous to have my face so close to that much force pushing on resistant logs. Some of those were some loud pops!

Still rattles like hell with no predictability, but it stops when I grab the cylinder assembly and shove it over to one side or the other.

I can keep up with the 14 second cycle no problem, but it is NOT a race, I keep reminding myself.

Now are these things continuous duty, or does the pump need to rest? I let the motor run thirty seconds while I stand there every so often, the cylinder got pretty warm, which helps the cold hands.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I got to use the machine for a couple of hours today, and yeah, I was kneeling for most of it, but I didn't mind a bit. Turned a bunch of big elm logs, some knotty and gnarly as heck, into stove pieces. Pretty fun, impressive power. Loud pops on some of them when they let go. Did a few of the big maples just for kicks, and no way I'd be horsing those up there on horizontal. I can difinitely say a timesaver would be to split right by the stack, because I made a rick as tall as me. Now I have to move it and actually stack it.

Mine goes either horizontal or vertical, but I haven't even install the little log catcher that goes over the motor in horizontal mode. I'l post a pic later; I don't like typing on my phone.
Last time i used a hydraulic splitter i used it in vertical. Rather than kneel or bend over i sat on a round. Id roll a round to the splitter, sit, split, toss pieces into a pile, get up, get another round. The constant moving kept me from getting sore. Main advantage was i didnt have to hoist the round onto a horizontal beam. Get enough hoisting when i load them on the truck in the woods unless i drag the logs out with my truck.
To each his own. I prefer vertical.
Actually i prefer splitting with an axe, maul, or wedge/hammer but thats only when im not behind with my processing. Just sayin

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last time i used a hydraulic splitter i used it in vertical. Rather than kneel or bend over i sat on a round. Id roll a round to the splitter, sit, split, toss pieces into a pile, get up, get another round. The constant moving kept me from getting sore. Main advantage was i didnt have to hoist the round onto a horizontal beam. Get enough hoisting when i load them on the truck in the woods unless i drag the logs out with my truck.
To each his own. I prefer vertical.
Actually i prefer splitting with an axe, maul, or wedge/hammer but thats only when im not behind with my processing. Just sayin
I like splitting by hand the best too, but my shoulders protest when I'm beating a wedge through the hard stuff. Some of that elm, locust, red maple, and so forth, makes it a true exercise in futility, where time seems to stand still, and the wedge pops back out no matter how hard I swing that handle. So I'm afraid this splitter is going to get worked pretty hard, because the straight pieces, nice walnut and mulberry, those'll get the "recreational splitting" treatment. Now if I were in the firewood business.... nah. I'm not that tough, and I don't have a place to go harvest. About the first time I got stuck in the mud out in the woods, I'd be so mad I'd blow my own head gasket.

Have a great day!

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was running that machine down, that's not what I meant at all. It's impressive, clean design, and I'll bet pushing the log rather than the wedge makes it inherently stronger, less likely to bend the ram on a fossilized locust stump. And, my back is pretty stiff this morning, so I went out and put a log on it in horizontal mode, and it is definitely at the right height. Thirty pounds and under, I could see doing it that way. I suppose I'd better put the log catcher on there after all. Having a cart or wheelbarrow right there might actually make it go pretty smoothly. Eight hours of splitting, that would be a good day's activity. I'm not very strong, but I seem to be able to go a while before the
"I'm old and give out (Sling Blade quote)" kicks in, so I'm glad for that at my age. I'll be sixty in a couple of years. Maybe someday I'll learn to weld and build some bulletproof machine using parts from a bulldozer or something.

I look forward to getting together next time and I'd like to bring the Primate to a gtg. He'll be smokin' all those hopped-up Huskies with his little plastic Über Alles! LOL

Ah. Life is good. Hope the liberals can be kept in check long enough for my kid to grow up enjoying this good life we have before they destroy it. Oh well. Time to read the news and *b-word about it. Pretty big agenda today. Have to go up to KU and pay tuition for my stepddaughter's left-wing indoctrination program. In 1981 I ruffled some feather up there when I raised a stink about the math and computer teachers' unintelligible (to me) accents. "Why can't them people learn to talk regular? You know, like regular people talk." I tell you that went over about like sausage on a stick at the Ramadan festival. Apparently the needs of regular students didn't count for much back then, and much less so now...

Be safe, guys.