High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Hot days and Husqvarna 357xp.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Last week was hot. Mid 60's at night, mid 90's during the day. High of 96* several days in a row.
When hot, (saw and weather) my saw starts and blurbs out, starts/blurbs....four or five times. Tickle the throttle and soon it takes off. Not so much a big deal, except that I start and stop my saw every two logs, or twelve cuts.
The dealer I use is thirty miles away and this weekend I was by there and stopped in.
I had seen a youtube video of a guy trouble shooting a saw with similar issues. He found after checking the basics, that compression was about 150 psi (cold), which is what it should be. He later found compression dropped to less than 105 psi when hot. My saw is about eight years old.
So I mentioned this to the mechanic.
He said, without seeing my saw as I did not have it with me, that when it hard starts, pull the choke out, push the choke in, and then start as this sets the high idle mode.
Today was not hot enough to for the hard start issue.
But I'll be trying it soon enough, I'm sure.
I'm also beginning to look at new saw options if that doesn't work.
IMG_5164.jpg

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last week was hot. Mid 60's at night, mid 90's during the day. High of 96* several days in a row.
When hot, (saw and weather) my saw starts and blurbs out, starts/blurbs....four or five times. Tickle the throttle and soon it takes off. Not so much a big deal, except that I start and stop my saw every two logs, or twelve cuts.
The dealer I use is thirty miles away and this weekend I was by there and stopped in.
I had seen a youtube video of a guy trouble shooting a saw with similar issues. He found after checking the basics, that compression was about 150 psi (cold), which is what it should be. He later found compression dropped to less than 105 psi when hot. My saw is about eight years old.
So I mentioned this to the mechanic.
He said, without seeing my saw as I did not have it with me, that when it hard starts, pull the choke out, push the choke in, and then start as this sets the high idle mode.
Today was not hot enough to for the hard start issue.
But I'll be trying it soon enough, I'm sure.
I'm also beginning to look at new saw options if that doesn't work.
View attachment 127418
I’ve owned my 357 for many years now(bought new) & it has not skipped a beat. The 394 on the other hand has taught me a few lessons. What I thought was the hot restart vapor lock turned out to be a coil issue. Is there any chance you could swap it out and eliminate that? It was very hard to single out the coil. At first, I was shutting the saw off to refuel while milling. I’d have to wait a while before it would restart, then it’d be fine. Started letting it idle during refuel, fine. Only acted up if I stopped the saw. I replaced with a cheap shyknee one and all issues disappeared. That coil only lasted a few months tho and it wasn’t 100%. Bought oem and it was like adding nitrous. Saw has been great since.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don’t give up, it’s got to be something simple.

Hoping the choke tip works. It does put it on high idle, just need it to act up again, which it will soon enough.
Running non ethanol, $4.09.9 this morning, and xp synthetic mix or Stihl Ultra synthetic.

I have begun dumping the last bit of fuel from the empty fuel cans in the quad, and starting completely fresh each time. Did 12 1/2 cords last month, so the fuel doesn't sit long in anything except maybe the lawn mower. Mowing is not my thing.

Saw a youtube video on checking for ethanol in fuel.
Maybe you've seen it.
Use a test tube and fill 1/2" with water. Fill up to a 1/2" from the top with straight fuel. Cover with thumb and shake, then let sit ten minutes.
His result was water separated out on the bottom, ethanal separated out above the water, and fuel above that. Not counting the water he added, his test showed 1/10 ethanol to 9/10 fuel, or about 10% ethanol.

When I get a test tube (Where do you find these?) I am going to try this with ethanol free fuel, and premium, as a friend swears by using premium for his saw mix. The attendant at the Shell station this morning said their premium has ethanol. (The test results will not go in the quad fuel tank.)

The thing is oil does not mix well with the straight ethanol, or water, so there is little to no lubrication, or protection for the saw, from the two cycle mix if there is ethanol and water separating out in the fuel container. Apparently ethanol absorbs water from the air, so sealed mix fuel containers need to be well sealed. Pretty sure my fuel cans seal as they blow up like a balloon in the sun, and suck up like a raison when its's cool.

Even so, I now agitate with each fill up, which I did not use to do, and keep less fuel on hand, about a weeks worth, for straight use and mixing.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t forget about 357 upgrades...auto decomp delete, intake clamp and carb update. Sounds like the carb needs a kit to me.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Been down that road last summer.
Running great since until the 90+ degree days.
Saw was down most of last summer, and finally found a shop to get it running. As I said, they are thirty miles away, so dropping it off and picking it up is one hundred and twenty miles total. Then after a week I took it back to readjust it a bit.
It runs good with a full 18" bar in Oak.
A buddy leaned his saw out and burnt it up.
He thought he knew what he was doing.
I don't have a clue...
I'm thinking an ms362 will fix the problem if it continues.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may be thru there tomorrow(which is today technically), have a tach and a screwdriver, and would be more than happy to look at it if you'd like. Oh I also have a coil if you want to swap it out.
Its a bummer this saw has given you the issues it has.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this the same saw that has been giving you fits for a couple years? If I remember right, Ross looked at it at twisterfest and mentioned it to me.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chipper 1, thanks for dropping in!
For sure, good to meet you/members in person.
As I said if there's any way I can help in the future let me know, I'll be thru there a few times this summer.

For those wondering, it was/is running a bit rich on the high side, but runs well and the low seemed fine.
Of course it didn't act up at all while I was there, just like a good husky lol.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve owned my 357 for many years now(bought new) & it has not skipped a beat. The 394 on the other hand has taught me a few lessons. What I thought was the hot restart vapor lock turned out to be a coil issue. Is there any chance you could swap it out and eliminate that? It was very hard to single out the coil. At first, I was shutting the saw off to refuel while milling. I’d have to wait a while before it would restart, then it’d be fine. Started letting it idle during refuel, fine. Only acted up if I stopped the saw. I replaced with a cheap shyknee one and all issues disappeared. That coil only lasted a few months tho and it wasn’t 100%. Bought oem and it was like adding nitrous. Saw has been great since.
Where do you get those coils from, I could use a few, oh do they fit on stihls:risas3:.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any more problems with the saw lately.
I'll be in the area beginning of next week.
Should be a good week to see if it acts up.