Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is heavy.
Locust density is about the same as oak. When green, it could be higher. It does dry faster than oak, and of course, it grows faster. Many have told me that an "orchard" of locust trees would produce more BTUs per acre per year than any tree species you could possibly plant.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember when I stuffed a 2500 full of fresh hickory. Man was it sagging. I bent the hitch leaving the driveway which was partially TSC's fault for selling hitch balls with 3" too much shaft hanging past the nut.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting thread! I learned a lot from this. Locust up here seems yellowish inside.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I call them hard wood ants. I tend to find them in only the hardest woods: shag bark, hedge, black locust... They will bite but aren't very bad. I hate the giant black carpenter ants, they're kinda creepy. I tend to find them in Honey locust. I try to keep either ant spray or propane torch near the splitter for ants

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I call them hard wood ants. I tend to find them in only the hardest woods: shag bark, hedge, black locust... They will bite but aren't very bad. I hate the giant black carpenter ants, they're kinda creepy. I tend to find them in Honey locust. I try to keep either ant spray or propane torch near the splitter for ants
I like that torch idea I will use that .

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A whole bunch of wood from was recently dropped by a golf course trying to clear out some trees -- not sure why, but the collection was ash, honey locust, and silver maple. A big sign was placed near the pile -- FREE.

All the locust disappeared first, then the ash, and finally the maple. I collected a truckload or two of ash and maple, but almost all of the honey locust was gobbled up before I got there. Just thought I would pass this along.