Homemade Reduced Weight Bar

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool thread going here. Idk if it was answered already or not, somebody asked about using paint stripper on bars. Aircraft stripper works extremely well. I stripped a Oregon power match the other week with some aerosol Rustoleum aircraft coating remover and it took 5 minutes tops. Sprayed it on, let if sit and washed the paint off. I belt sanded the bar then and oiled it when I was done. So far it still looks great.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's how it all went down:

I started with a 32 GB Pro Top I got from @Jon1212 . Thanks Jon!
IMG_2780.JPG

Before weight
IMG_2783.JPG

I'll do it in metric too, for our imperial challenged friends. (I'm one of them)
IMG_2784.JPG

I then commenced to doodle on it.
IMG_2786.JPG

I am not an artiste! Don't laugh.
I told my buddy with the mill that these are roughly the holes I want in it, but that he could feel free to make them any shape that works best for him.
IMG_2788.JPG

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I got it back it looked like this. I wanted a rim edge in the middle to act as my mechanical fastener. The groove is cut the same on each side. He made the cutouts more square, which is fine. It also took out a little extra material.
IMG_2830.JPG

Weights after cuts are done.
IMG_2835.JPG IMG_2834.JPG

I used the wire wheel on my bench grinder to strip all the paint off.
IMG_2843.JPG

Removing the paint took off more weight than I thought it would. (Sorry metric friends, I forgot to push the little button.) I think it was 22 grams of paint.
IMG_2846.JPG

Last edited:

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered 1mm carbon fiber sheets. These were real cheap, and I wouldn't order them again. They also said they were 100mm x 300mm. Turned out to be 295mm, which barely worked for me.
IMG_2867.JPG

Carbon fiber is very easy to cut and shape, so I used a fine metal blade in my jigsaw to cut it, and used the little belt sander in the previous photo to shape it.
IMG_2870.JPG

Dry fitting of the first two panels.
IMG_2871.JPG

I roughened up the surface on the back of the carbon, and used JB weld to bond it.
IMG_2883.JPG

It leaves a mess, so I scraped off the excess, and used a Scotchbrite pad to finish.
IMG_2884.JPG

Last edited:

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the back of the panel after it cured.
IMG_2887.JPG

Yeah, I used quite a bit of JB...
IMG_2891.JPG

Looks like frosting... Don't lick it though.
IMG_2892.JPG

I wanted to make sure the inserts were more or less flush with the rest of the bar, so I used wax paper, and the straightest thing I own, and clamped it all together.
IMG_2893.JPG

This time it left a bigger mess, but it's actually pretty easy to clean up.
IMG_2894.JPG

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Constructive criticism is welcomed, as I'm sure I could have done things in better ways.
I thought the weight savings were pretty good, and it was a fun project.
I already have another idea for a solid block of carbon being bonded in, but that'll be a winter project.
I'm bringing this one to the CT GTG to try in some wood too.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where'd you get the carbon fiber?
And why won't you order it again?
I got the carbon from Hobbyking.com
The reason I won't order it again is because the sheets didn't have fibers all the way to end, there was 1/8 or so of just resin at 2 of the edges. I'd prefer to have fibers all the way. They were also 5mm shorter than advertised. The pieces I got were probably cut from the end of a much bigger sheet. There's a lot of different places to get carbon from, but they were the closest, so I went for it

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it wear well or is it be below flush of the metal
It's about flush with the metal. The resin in the carbon is pretty durable, so I don't foresee any big problems. At least not for my use. It'll never be as durable as steel, though.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How's the flex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't measured the flex yet. It's still curing. It does feel stiff, though. I talked to @Jon1212 last night, and I'll do a flex test the same way he did, once it's cured fully. Should be tomorrow or so. The JB is fairly thick, so I'll let it have an extra day.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
1:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't measured the flex yet. It's still curing. It does feel stiff, though. I talked to @Jon1212 last night, and I'll do a flex test the same way he did, once it's cured fully. Should be tomorrow or so. The JB is fairly thick, so I'll let it have an extra day.

@SOS Ridgerider wears welding gloves when handling Echo's. He's from Southern Norway, y'all.