High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HOMELITE Homelite Thread

Local time
5:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well, went through and reset everything. Took the pickup apart, cleaned it all up, re-soldered every connection, cut down sparkplug wire about 3/8” and and ensured proper connection. Disassembled the points, cleaned it all again, reset points again, added a touch of “liquid electrical tape” anywhere the wires/connections might touch the case. Had the flywheel on and off about 10 times and the flywheel nut was a little hincky so I got a new one (3/8-24 for those wondering).
Fired right up on 3rd pull. Revved right up. I didn’t have a chance to really test it out.

Curiosity: can I advance the timing just a touch? It really feels like there is power left to be harnessed.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curiosity: can I advance the timing just a touch? It really feels like there is power left to be harnessed.

I don't have an XL-12 but most of my older Homelites of that era seem to be pushing the timing as is. I find they can bite back more than any other saws of that time..
If you want to try a small increment you could increase the point gap to .018" This will decrease the dwell time (time the points are closed allowing the coil to build a charge) and the plug will fire sooner. A few degrees is about what you would get. The downside is the time to build a charge in the coil is reduced but I haven't seen any issues doing that.
If more is required you would have to rotate the flywheel in the counter clockwise direction.
You can fiddle with that but having a degree wheel on the crank would allow you to know how many degrees you are moving from stock settings. The repair manual says the correct stock timing with the points set at .o15" is 30 degrees BTDC

Setting the flywheel key in a vice and filing a bit off the back side will allow you to rotate the flywheel counter clockwise to the extent you filed off. A little goes a long. Mark the key while it sits in the crankshaft so you only file off what contacts the flywheel slot. That way if you want to return to stock settings you can just reverse the key.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't have an XL-12 but most of my older Homelites of that era seem to be pushing the timing as is. I find they can bite back more than any other saws of that time..
If you want to try a small increment you could increase the point gap to .018" This will decrease the dwell time (time the points are closed allowing the coil to build a charge) and the plug will fire sooner. A few degrees is about what you would get. The downside is the time to build a charge in the coil is reduced but I haven't seen any issues doing that.
If more is required you would have to rotate the flywheel in the counter clockwise direction.
You can fiddle with that but having a degree wheel on the crank would allow you to know how many degrees you are moving from stock settings. The repair manual says the correct stock timing with the points set at .o15" is 30 degrees BTDC

Setting the flywheel key in a vice and filing a bit off the back side will allow you to rotate the flywheel counter clockwise to the extent you filed off. A little goes a long. Mark the key while it sits in the crankshaft so you only file off what contacts the flywheel slot. That way if you want to return to stock settings you can just reverse the key.

I read about the change in points gap, but I chose to file approx 0.015 off the key instead. I did exactly as you described (just saw this post, so great minds think alike i guess) and haven’t been able to fire it up yet. Will advise as to the results when i get the chance to run it.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looking forward to how it goes. .015 is quite aggressive.

I read on a forum (not here or AS) that that was the max you could go on these old saws. Also recomended going 1 step colder on plug when doing so.

I’d like to pride myself on my hand filing and measuring abilities, but I think it’s a bit less than 0.015, probably closer to 0.012.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So it runs really well! Had to sharpen the chain; it looked like he was cutting gravel with it. Spent some time adjusting the carb and playing around with the idle, got it purring pretty well. It cuts pretty darn well for an old 50cc saw, couldn’t quite keep up with the 028 Wood Boss (not really fair as the WB has a MM and good tune) but it surprised me.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A newly added 5-20 Bow
d4136f69b16773958fe79c0c799147d0.jpg
d6634d00d03ef10f6f995f708df71e6a.jpg
1437a4dcd528fa74e899148e52142fab.jpg
3dd39e38b70168c51deb14d3e6d48c88.jpg

Erik

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The repair manual says the correct stock timing with the points set at .o15" is 30 degrees BTDC.
FWIW the Lombard AL-42,Comango etc being a Homelite take off where also set at 30 degrees ahead .For that matter some 10 series Macs see some improvement at around 30 too .Much more than that causes the engines to kick back rather briskly .

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just picked up a haul of homelites , a model 17 l-a, three 330,s and an xl -12. Pictures to follow. If anyone needs 330 parts I am not going to mess with them. One he said is a runner and the other two can be put together to make one.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to see it cutting! Ever get anyware on the 450?

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to see it cutting! Ever get anyware on the 450?

Ahhh same old story, keeping busy with other people's stuff. Took the muffler off to look inside and piston/cyl look great and compression test was very good. Cleaned up the muffler and prepped it for some paint and far as I have got. I spent more time on the XL12, but may let it sit the shelf as you mentioned. It's piston/cyl is not bad compared to others that have messed with. One of bolts had backed out from case half behind clutch and was broke off. Part of clutch was busted and gone too. I have a pile of homelite carcasses so just be deciding what I want to do.