High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Homelite, Poulan, McCulloch etc. Press Fit Wrist Bearing Pulling Made Simple Solution

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! I think I will be getting one for my PM700 project. I would otherwise use my arbor press and it's not easy to do with only two hands to do the doing. Not that an arbor press isn't handy for a saw shop, it really can do 1001 jobs for a fella, but when something else is easier and slick like this, well...

Great! I'm in the procurement phase right now so we're just waiting on the amalgamation of parts to arrive and we should be ready. The tools themselves are coming from overseas but have shipped already so we should see them within a week or 2. An arbor press really is a great tool and they are available widely so cheap now-a-days and a great all around device.

I was playing around with a 600 series Mac that I shoulda brought some heat to the party with, ended up breaking the 12.9 stainless screw. This one in the video ended up being a cream puff. While making the video it took everything I had to not tell you guys to "Keep your dick in a vice" or some other expletive from aVe's channel.

I'll let you know when I get everything together. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great! I'm in the procurement phase right now so we're just waiting on the amalgamation of parts to arrive and we should be ready. The tools themselves are coming from overseas but have shipped already so we should see them within a week or 2. An arbor press really is a great tool and they are available widely so cheap now-a-days and a great all around device.

I was playing around with a 600 series Mac that I shoulda brought some heat to the party with, ended up breaking the 12.9 stainless screw. This one in the video ended up being a cream puff. While making the video it took everything I had to not tell you guys to "Keep your dick in a vice" or some other expletive from aVe's channel.

I'll let you know when I get everything together. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

2000px-Facebook_Like_button.svg.png

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would happen if you used like a 0 tip on a torch to heat the rod end a tad before you tried to pull the pin out? It wouldn't take much .
The reason I even mentioned this is because in the days of captive rods in automobile engines the rod ends were heated by an induction heater before the pin was pressed in .

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would happen if you used like a 0 tip on a torch to heat the rod end a tad before you tried to pull the pin out? It wouldn't take much .
The reason I even mentioned this is because in the days of captive rods in automobile engines the rod ends were heated by an induction heater before the pin was pressed in .
Are you talking about with this tool or without?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In conjunction with that tool .In other words get the tool lined up then lay the heat to it and crank it out .With a tiny tip you won't spread the heat into the piston in my way of thinking .Actually using the same mind set you could freeze the pin and heat the rod to crank it back in. About like changing a bearing on a heat shrink fit on a Stihl crankcase main .It's just an idea .

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In conjunction with that tool .In other words get the tool lined up then lay the heat to it and crank it out .With a tiny tip you won't spread the heat into the piston in my way of thinking .Actually using the same mind set you could freeze the pin and heat the rod to crank it back in. About like changing a bearing on a heat shrink fit on a Stihl crankcase main .It's just an idea .

I got ya now.

Yes, a little heat could go a long way on a more difficult pin. I actually had one break a 12.9 screw when I was testing. A little heat would've mitigated that nicely, I'm sure.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to thank @Duke Thieroff for coming up with this special tool. NOS parts are getting to be pretty dear, so a tool that does no damage is quite welcome. I'm so glad that by chance this opportunity came along to purchase this when it did.
I believe that there is going to be a bunch of different variations of how this tool is used and that's a good thing.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Pro Mac 700 was waiting...
... and I didn't see the need for the curved adapter.
View attachment 197707

Hey! That's a great idea, I hadn't even considered that before. Awesome!

Now to get the new one on. I added a washer so as not to mar up the new piston. A couple drops of two smoke oil and...
View attachment 197709

I wanted to give it a try pulling these types of setups back together but I haven't played around with it yet. I'm was plain tickled with how easy they made the job of tearing it apart. So man, that's just great seeing it put 'er right together.

I'd like to thank @Duke Thieroff for coming up with this special tool. NOS parts are getting to be pretty dear, so a tool that does no damage is quite welcome. I'm so glad that by chance this opportunity came along to purchase this when it did.
I believe that there is going to be a bunch of different variations of how this tool is used and that's a good thing.

Thanks @Stump Shot , the pleasure really was all mine. Thanks a million for showing how easily it'll pull it back together as well.

We have a cylinder kit that we currently have in development ( :campeon: POULAN 4000:campeon:) that should be done by the close of 2019 that uses this type of setup and we were definitely concerned about guys having the tools to make the job simple. We've got a lot of cylinders coming so we have interest in making the job easy. Frankly, without this setup they are a PIA. It's already enough trouble to rebuild a saw, trying to convince guys they need to manufacture their own tools to make something happen may be beyond the scope of some workshops. This is a PERFECT solution. The tool and ancillary parts are readily available from numerous places.

By the way, the PM700 build is a worthy one. Those saws are plain MEAN. One of my first favorites.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I wanted to give it a try pulling these types of setups back together but I haven't played around with it yet. I'm was plain tickled with how easy they made the job of tearing it apart. So man, that's just great seeing it put 'er right together.

Thanks @Stump Shot , the pleasure really was all mine. Thanks a million for showing how easily it'll pull it back together as well.

We have a cylinder kit that we currently have in development ( :campeon: POULAN 4000:campeon:) that should be done by the close of 2019 that uses this type of setup and we were definitely concerned about guys having the tools to make the job simple. We've got a lot of cylinders coming so we have interest in making the job easy. Frankly, without this setup they are a PIA. It's already enough trouble to rebuild a saw, trying to convince guys they need to manufacture their own tools to make something happen may be beyond the scope of some workshops. This is a PERFECT solution. The tool and ancillary parts are readily available from numerous places.

By the way, the PM700 build is a worthy one. Those saws are plain MEAN. One of my first favorites.

Might possibly have a need for a longer bolt using the adapter on a full circle piston. Otherwise oiled up it went back together easier than it came apart.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Could probably be used on the pin bearings as well. ;)

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might possibly have a need for a longer bolt using the adapter on a full circle piston. Otherwise oiled up it went back together easier than it came apart.

The original bolts that came with the set were 70mm so we just ran with that and they have worked in all of the applications that I've fooled around with so far. That's definitely a good call out on that.

That's one thing that's really great about this setup in my mind. If you need a longer bolt you can just get a longer bolt, doesn't require and special tooling or anything.

If a hack like me can make it usable it's stupid simple.