Homelite EZ - 1958 100% Rebuild

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This last June I came home from Tennessee with my grandfathers other chainsaw. A 1958 Homelite EZ.
Like so many other things of my grandfathers, he ran it into the ground and when he could do nothing else with it, put it aside and got a new one...

This saw has been sitting for God knows how long but we know if was in a storage locker for 20 or so years.
My guess, grandpa set it aside in the 70's when he got the Craftsman saw that I recently rebuilt for my uncle (The Ranger Saw).

So as time has allowed (or I needed a break from all the BS), I have started pulling this saw down.

Over this last weekend while the GTG in Tennessee was happening, I sat down in the garage with the big screen to watch the videos and spend some time on Grandpa's saw.

Over all I think for being 58 years old.... Its not that bad.

I managed to get the cylinder off and remove the piston.
I am hoping to clean up both but would love opinions on how...
My first stage will be to degrease and use my blast cabinet on the external fins.

Exhaust
Cylinder 02.JPG

Cylinder Ports
Cylinder 03.JPG Cylinder 04.JPG

The piston is going to need some work also.
Piston 02.JPG Piston 03.JPG

Last edited:

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
10:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It actually doesn't look that bad. I've had multiple ezs and most we're roached hard when I parted them out. I'd say mm has you on the fast track for recovery on that one.

I love the fix paps old saw threads!

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Started doing a little Body work on the saw.
There are a few pieces that have been banged around.
First step is cleaning and then some JB Weld, and then Sanding. Not much different than doing body work on a car.
Oil Tank Cover 2.JPG

JB Weld.JPG

Then there are the 2 piece gas and oil tanks.
The first thing you want to do it get a sheet of glass and some 220 or better sand paper and make sure the sealing edges are straight and flush.

As you can see here, I have started sanding the gas tank cover and need to do a little more.. (highlighted in Red).
I will also to the same to main body section of the gas tank

Oil Tank Cover.JPG

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Started doing a little Body work on the saw.
There are a few pieces that have been banged around.
First step is cleaning and then some JB Weld, and then Sanding. Not much different than doing body work on a car.
View attachment 94767

View attachment 94768

Then there are the 2 piece gas and oil tanks.
The first thing you want to do it get a sheet of glass and some 220 or better sand paper and make sure the sealing edges are straight and flush.

As you can see here, I have started sanding the gas tank cover and need to do a little more.. (highlighted in Red).
I will also to the same to main body section of the gas tank

View attachment 94766

Love the project.
Are you sanding the gasket sealing surface? or just lightly trying to renew the edge to insure a good seal?
(I have used a piece of glass on a flat surface and taped 320 grit paper -- then moved it slowly back and forth)

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Love the project.
Are you sanding the gasket sealing surface? or just lightly trying to renew the edge to insure a good seal?
(I have used a piece of glass on a flat surface and taped 320 grit paper -- then moved it slowly back and forth)

Thank you.
Yes as in making sure the sealing surface is true... With or without a gasket (I do have one), much less chance of a leak after the project is completed...
I went with the 220 because I could see I needed a bit of removal... Also wanted the edge a little ruff.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you.
Yes as in making sure the sealing surface is true... With or without a gasket (I do have one), much less chance of a leak after the project is completed...
I went with the 220 because I could see I needed a bit of removal... Also wanted the edge a little ruff.

great idea! Keep the posts coming.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Finished more of the body work...
This is very smooth
Before and after...
Gas Tank Cover 2.JPG Body Work 01.JPG

Gas tank edges are now clean and flat
Note: Make sure to do a circle pattern when doing this.
Both parts
Gas Tank 01.JPG

No gap
Gas Tank 02.JPG

When I go to prime this, I will put the gasket on it with only screws so as to get primer on the gasket edge.
Will do the same for the paint.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did a little more work on the saw yesterday. Had to put the body work on hold so I moved on to the cylinder work that is needed.
After seeing the postings on this site about Matthew Olsen's videos, I was checking out his Poor Mans Porting video.
While I do not have another piston to Glue the sandpaper to, I though I could try some Self Stick paper after cleaning up the piston a bit...
Orig Piston.JPG

Once the piston was cleaned up I used an xacto knife to cut some 80grit and some 220grit.
Sand Paper.JPG

A little WD40 in the cylinder and 3 passes with 80grit and 2 passes with 220grit.
Not sure I am going to get any better from a 59 year old cylinder but I still have the 2 inch scotch ball to use...
Cylinder 01.JPG Cylinder 02.JPG Cylinder 03.JPG

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did a little more work on the saw yesterday. Had to put the body work on hold so I moved on to the cylinder work that is needed.
After seeing the postings on this site about Matthew Olsen's videos, I was checking out his Poor Mans Porting video.
While I do not have another piston to Glue the sandpaper to, I though I could try some Self Stick paper after cleaning up the piston a bit...
View attachment 95253

Once the piston was cleaned up I used an xacto knife to cut some 80grit and some 220grit.
View attachment 95254

A little WD40 in the cylinder and 3 passes with 80grit and 2 passes with 220grit.
Not sure I am going to get any better from a 59 year old cylinder but I still have the 2 inch scotch ball to use...
View attachment 95257 View attachment 95256 View attachment 95255

I like the scotch balls. Not heard much of them here (although I could have missed it). Thanks for posting.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Done a little more on the saw. Checked the clutch for spec and appeared to be in great shape so:
Clutch 01.JPG

Clutch 02.JPG

The question I have for everyone is:
What is the best method to clean up the carb?
I have a full gasket kit so I am not worried about that aspect.
I would like to bring the luster back to this old girl so she matches the saw when completed.

Carb 02.JPG