High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Hollow water oak

Xtr3me

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a hollow water oak that lighting struck and took out the upper half of the tree. I need to drop a limb before dropping the rest of the tree. The limb is rather long and overhangs across the roadway. Seeking recommendations for the best way to drop this limb safely

See pics attached IMG_4177.JPG IMG_4178.JPG IMG_4179.JPGIMG_4227.JPG

Xtr3me

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4234.JPG IMG_4236.JPG IMG_4238.JPG IMG_4239.JPG

With no recommendations, I decided to drop the limb this afternoon. Pretty much played out like I feared. Lacking experience working with hollow trees and cutting from a ladder didn't help matters either.

Playing it safe, I cut 1/3 way through the limb, climbed down and removed ladder from the tree and waited, didn't have to wait long. Within 2 minutes the limb started creaking, cracking and slowly dropped about 10 feet at opposite end, hanging in another tree. I ended up hooking one end a tow strap around the end of the limb, 1 ft above where I made the cut and attached other end to truck. Attempted to pull limb loose from tree, not gonna happen..

In the first pic, you can see the separation from the tree. I then slid a 3 foot 4x4 into the opening between the tree base and limb and wrapped a rope around the limb and each end of the 4x4. The idea was to wrap the rope loose enough that whenever I snatched on the limb, the 4x4 would slide downwards and when the limb closed back when releasing tension on tow strap the remaining wood holding the limb would bust loose . Limb dropped after second pull..

Hind sight, I would get someone experienced that knows what they are doing or invite some friends over and pop off these 6,000 rounds of .22 ammo at the limb that I accumulated during the Obama/Clinton scare

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutting from a ladder is never a good idea.
Good thing you only cut part way through.

Xtr3me

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No disagreement here, that's why my hairy berries were the size of bb's the whole time I was on the ladder. even though I worked 8 years, alternating between utilizing either a ladder or gaffs climbing poles, I wasn't thrilled about using a ladder. Tree surgeons here are not returning calls, either it's too hot for them, still have a work load from the hurricane or they got fat pockets.

I bet I watched 15-20 YouTube videos of accidents involving a chainsaw and ladder. So yeah, my intentions were to make a small cut and walk away. If unsuccessful, barricade off road and let neighbor use property access road until a professional tree surgeon could remove it.

Glad you replied Deets066, as I should clarify to anyone viewing this thread that by no means does anyone within the OPE community promote the usage of ladders while working with chainsaws, they are extremely dangerous and life threatening. The followup post is just for sharing my experience