Hobby shop suggestions.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I plan to start building a hobby shop soon.... I would like to have it under roof before winter. I'm looking for any suggestions.

I'm thinking a 26x32 with 10' side walls. It will be mainly used for a hobby woodworking shop with a corner for chainsaw repair.

I'm going to have 4-5 courses of block Layed and stick frame from there.

It will have floor heat from my OWB and in floor power & dust collection at least to the tablesaw and workbench.

I think I'll just drywall the inside and leave the concrete floor alone, other then a sealer.

There will be a bathroom and a sink.

blackop555

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Epoxy floor to keep floor easy to clean and bright to see imperfections. I never have enough room around take saw. Is 3ft enough room? Work bench and saw are generally sand height hope boards won't hit it. Anyways always wanted a shower in a wood shop

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've thought about that very thing just for being able to have access for dust collection. The downside is theres not really a money savings and harder to heat and insulate.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've thought about that very thing just for being able to have access for dust collection. The downside is theres not really a money savings and harder to heat and insulate.
Use manufactured floor joist. You can still have hot water heat. Either run loops against the underside of the subfloor or baseboard radiators. Be alot easier to control humidity also. Use ICF's for the foundation they go a long way toward temperature swing moderation..

http://www.icfhomes.com/

Last edited:

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I've had a change of plans on building a whole new building.
One of the reasons was it's just not cheap to build even with me doing all the work other then laying the block.

Another reason is there's a building at the farm that we fix up a few years ago. It just got filled up with a bunch of stuff after we stop using it for farming. It just became a catch all and not used very efficient.

The down fall is it's shared building and I really can't take over the size I wanted and it's farther away from the house.

Plus side it's a building and not just a dirt pad and it has power and plumbing! Just need fixing.

I'm going to be using the far door and have uses of the chimney. :)

IMG_7236.JPG

IMG_7231.JPG

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty excited about having my own space that I can make all the dust and noise I want! :)

I'm planning on putting in a wood floor for a few reasons, One is to insulate the floor be able to have a moisture barrier. Also to be able to run electric to the center of the work area for the tablesaw and workbench.

In just about every free second I'm looking for different ideas/methods that I can incorporate in this project so any input is much appreciated.

As for the other site.... the wife said now we have a nice level spot for a picnic shelter.