Hmmmmmm. Gas.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kind of a neat thing these guys came up with. For me now it's a "cool gadget". But, for some it would be needed I guess.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it costs, “ a little under a hundred” for the pair if I heard him right. I wonder if Stihl will buy the rights at some point?

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree, it looks very nicely engineered and of high quality, but good grief it is making something so utterly simple into a level of complexity that is senseless to me.....Give me a screw on cap and lets cut wood. I wouldnt want the added weight or cost. Thats just me. Thanks for sharing the video.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where does the pressure go ?

Into the fuel can ?

if it’s blowing off caps, mayhaps it will blow off the fuel can when pressed into place ?

I can’t stand this guy
Into the fuel can. And the fuel can has way larger volume. The vapor is just a small volume of high pressure gas to the big volume tank. No more spraying gas on your face.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I agree, I can’t really listen to this guy, but I persevered with this vid. Edit... upto the 9min mark..

I heard about the fuel prob a while ago..and can’t believe stihl has not looked into some slight change in design yet.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Into the fuel can. And the fuel can has way larger volume. The vapor is just a small volume of high pressure gas to the big volume tank. No more spraying gas on your face.
That little red aluminum can aint exactly fittin into your “has way larger volume”

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a fail.
Trying to fix a problem at the wrong end it's the fuel that is the problem not the design of chainsaw fuel tanks! Husky or Stihl or any saw manufacture for that matter.
The fuel they sell us now days is rubbish!
Even with none ethernol fuel try leaving ya fuel can it in the sun for an hr or 2 it will swell up like a balloon and almost blow ya head off if you undo the cap! Lol
Now I don't remember fuel doing this not that many years ago..

Thing's will change in the not to far future after a few civil lawsuit against fuel companies for actually making fuel dangerous to use in ope.
That's my 2c on the matter.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to understand how the fuel that’s at the bottom of the tank sprays out the top when the cap is open? Especially when the tank is near empty.

Sounds like an excuse for when they close the cap wrong and dump a tank on the ground. Any one who’s done enough cutting with a floppy cap saw has gotten a tank on the ground or a leg full of bar oil once.

Dave’s flappy eliminator caps work great and are inexpensive.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to understand how the fuel that’s at the bottom of the tank sprays out the top when the cap is open? Especially when the tank is near empty.
I understand the pressure building from the hot surroundings of a fire zone.

why not just run the saw outta fuel ?
As soon as the “liquid seal” has been compromised, the pressure will get slowly released into the intake tract from the carb .........

Seems opening the fuel cap with fuel still in the tank is where the problem begins.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3SAE77o.gif

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sounds like an excuse for when they close the cap wrong and dump a tank on the ground. Any one who’s done enough cutting with a floppy cap saw has gotten a tank on the ground or a leg full of bar oil once.

Dave’s flappy eliminator caps work great and are inexpensive.

Bar oil down the pants, hate flippy caps with a flaming purple passion.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand the pressure building from the hot surroundings of a fire zone.

why not just run the saw outta fuel ?
As soon as the “liquid seal” has been compromised, the pressure will get slowly released into the intake tract from the carb .........

Seems opening the fuel cap with fuel still in the tank is where the problem begins.
Pressure would Not leak from the carb. There's a test called pop up pressure about carbs on service manual.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a few drops of fuel hiding in the caps thread. Will spray, but just very little.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pressure would Not leak from the carb. There's a test called pop up pressure about carbs on service manual.
Pop off pressure is when you test for the needle and seat to seal off, holding back fuel when the carb doesn’t need more fuel in the diaphragm chamber because the needle and seat are closed. It’s done with liquid fuel in the needle & seat area. When you run the machine out of fuel, the needle and seat are open, asking for more fuel. No more fuel in the tank, pressure goes through the needle & seat, through the carb and into the intake of the saw.

It happens all the time ....... run your saw out of fuel and open the tank, there’s no pressure anymore

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pop off pressure is when you test for the needle and seat to seal off, holding back fuel when the carb doesn’t need more fuel in the diaphragm chamber because the needle and seat are closed. It’s done with liquid fuel in the needle & seat area. When you run the machine out of fuel, the needle and seat are open, asking for more fuel. No more fuel in the tank, pressure goes through the needle & seat, through the carb and into the intake of the saw.

It happens all the time ....... run your saw out of fuel and open the tank, there’s no pressure anymore
Oh.. I didn't think of that. You're right. I was thinking a sitting saw with an empty tank like most of mine does. They spray vapor every time I open the caps.