High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Hmmm. Maybe it is time to buy a grinder.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
177 drivers and I have 4 of the darn chains! Along with chains for the other big saws.

enhance

Super Jolly, Oregon 520 or 620?

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I mean are they any good? I wasn't trying to step on anybody's toes or sound rude. I am just not sure about them. I haven't heard much about them before.

Oh, no worries, you didn't sound rude at all. I figured it was an autocorrect, but wasn't quite sure which word it was supposed to be.

These grinders are made in Italy by tecomec. They're known to make good stuff. It's good enough that Oregon puts their name and markup on them. The non hydraulic 520 version and it's predecessors have been a standard for a long time, even for light commerical use as I understand it. As far as I know this grinder is the same except that the vise is different in that it's automatic, so to speak.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And you can buy a vise upgrade (same as the one on the Super Jolly) that will fit the Oregon 620. This should tell you something!
After looking around for a few days I was convinced that the Super Jolly was a better buy than the Oregon.
Spare parts for the Super Jolly on Ebay.

Square grinding? You are looking at a used Silvey (if you can find one!) or a new Simington. Silvey no longer made. Simington starts at about $1000 from Madsen's. My old faller friends say Silvey was the best.

stevegodseyjr

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to have a silvey 510 or any square grinder for that matter. Most of them are not in my budget range unfortunately. I may look into ordering one of these Super Jolly grinders.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most of us really do not need square ground chain, IMHO it is sort of a luxury. I round file all of my chisel chain, with the big HP saws I use it works great. (Soon to be grinding with the Super Jolly!)

If I was a pro faller out here in the Pacific NW big timber country yes, I would run square ground chain. A little faster on those big trees at 5 feet or more DBH. Time is money, don't linger at the stump!!!

I would love to have a Silvey, but I do not earn my living with a saw so it really is a pipe dream. About 3 years ago I saw one at a garage sale, an old faller I knew died and his tools were being disposed of. Only $500, but it did not compute at that time as I was not into milling then, just firewood cutting. Should have bought it!!!

Ripping chain works just fine round ground. Hit the Granberg site go to FAQ and read about grinding ripping chain. I have two loops of the Granberg and two loops of full comp (ground for milling) from Madsen's. Madsen's has an interesting paragraph in the catalog about ripping (milling) chain, if you are milling it is worth your time to read it.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would love to have a silvey 510 or any square grinder for that matter. Most of them are not in my budget range unfortunately. I may look into ordering one of these Super Jolly grinders.

As soon as I receive my Super Jolly I will set it up and grind a few loops and post photos.

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
105 dL .404

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
b1a1eb9d0b2b297a64cb682483e9fce3.jpg

The vacuum pulls about 95% sparks , metal grinding’s
I did hard plumb the vacuum to the other side of the shop so can hear my radio now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk