Hey Hack Where do you CUT

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where do you do most of your cuttin on Private or Public land.
If on public do you have to have a permit?
If so whats the cost and how much can be gotten?
What are some rules that have to be followed according to the permit?

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do must of my cuttin on any of the many forestry seasonal roads we have here within a 20 mile radius of me.You could very easy get lost here without a backroads forestry map.I get a wood permit from ranger station $20 gets you 4 full cordswith up to 3 permits a year.We can't leave the trail (road)with any motor vehicle and are 100 feet of the road to gather.I take a wheelbarrow and often split with a maul while loading if time allows.We can cut standing dead as well as fallen on the forestry land.On state land only on the ground can be gathered not sure what other rules apply for state land in Michigan without doing research.

Dave70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
All my cutting is done on private land. Not really much public land around down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut on family property mostly. If there's something near by I'm not opposed to scrounging. Pretty soon there'll be plenty of ash to be had. The bug is making its way through here.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My own property 99.9% of the time. I sometimes do a tree removal for a family member or really close friend.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i end up doing most of my cutting at the golf course where i work most of the year. also do some tree work through my extremely small landscaping business. between the two i get all the firewood i need.

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I cut on private land, about 7 miles away from my house. 140 acres of timber all to myself.

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I cut on mine or family land and some on neighbors.
We have a few older people around that have land and just want stuff cleaned up.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut only on private land. Basically residential stuff where we do removals and storm damage clean up. Sometimes I'll cut on my own property but seeing it's only 3 acres and mostly pine trees...

I do have forest property I own about 100 miles south of me but I never bring wood from there. (too far to haul) And the forest land I own to the north is about 1000 miles north which is WAY too far to haul...

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Private. Pretty sure there is no cutting on public lands allowed here in VT.

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I live on ten acres, with about five of that wooded, that's usually good for a few dead trees per year. My Dad has access to thirty more acres that produces enough dead standing each year to get us both through the winter.

Agent Orange

Stihl trying
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Private. Boss owns a farm and property at the lake. Friends of the family have a farm. We also have Ft. Riley which allows fuel wood cutting with permit if I run out of honey holes.

CTYank

Killer of Invasives
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mostly in local preserves, as a volunteer doing storm-cleanup or aiding in various projects. Cherry-picking the prime wood. None more than 10 mi. away. Lately been removing mini-jungles of invasives while trying to clear space at home for mo-wood. Things go in cycles- all good exercise.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Private. I mostly cut on fence lines, either trimming back so the branches don’t hit the tractors, or compleat removal of every tree on the fence line because it blocks the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk