High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Here's a dopey question

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So I know that in the powersports world, quite a few outfits offer replating service/cylinder exchange for nikasil plated cylinders that have sustained too much damage to be simply cleaned up and re-used.

Is there anyone out there who does this for saw cylinders?? Or is the cost of replating just not sensible with the new lower prices on cylinder kits?? It just seems like kind of a waste to toss a cylinder that simply needs replating. Just curious....

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I know that in the powersports world, quite a few outfits offer replating service/cylinder exchange for nikasil plated cylinders that have sustained too much damage to be simply cleaned up and re-used.

Is there anyone out there who does this for saw cylinders?? Or is the cost of replating just not sensible with the new lower prices on cylinder kits?? It just seems like kind of a waste to toss a cylinder that simply needs replating. Just curious....
It's way more expensive to replate a blind cylinder, ( non-removable head) and quality can suffer sometimes. US Chrome does replateing. I believe @srcarr52 has had some replated

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
3:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have a cylinder replated does that mean a custom piston is needed to account for the difference in bore diameter ? Or can they adjust the plating thickness to bring it back to oem dimensions?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken Cliff H had his cylinders done by US Chrome.The stroker cranks came from Falicon in Clear Water Fla .Keep in mind though these are high end race saws .This stuff is way out of my league .I did once make and install a cast iron cylinder liner in a 125 McCulloch but that an entirely different subject .

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have a cylinder replated does that mean a custom piston is needed to account for the difference in bore diameter ? Or can they adjust the plating thickness to bring it back to oem dimensions?
Had to send them my piston with cylinder, when I had a snowmobile jug done.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed Heard had several cylinders done at US Chrome. He said the plating is a lot harder than OEM, so do your porting before sending the cylinder down. He said carbide bits will barely cut through US Chrome's Nikasil.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Electrode-deposited.
not unlike a lot of other plating processes. I believe nickel silica-carbide is the material deposited.
think gold or nickel plating
Yes. Interesting process.

The pool of nikasil is continually moving. The nickel is simply there to deposit the carbide on the bore. Fascinating stuff.