High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Here Genius shows his Woodstove/fireplace ignorance.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
2:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize that I am a freaking Genius, but when it comes to actually burning wood for heat I am ignorant.

We are considering selling our current house and building a new house. Right now we are in the process of looking at building plans so we can talk to builders on what this new potential house would cost us before we start talking to realtors on our current pad.

My wife is actually not very high maintenance, she only has 2 things that she really wants in this new place. One of them is a fireplace. She wants something in the room thats encased by stone....

So what kind of options do I have??? We have a few friends who have masonry fireplaces. The thing is with their fire places is that they only light a fire in them a few times a year, and when the fire is going it does absolutly nothing for heat. In fact I think the furnaces run more when the fireplace is going. It seems like when the fire is going that the heat from the fire is pulling the cooler air from the house out and up the chimney.

We are not wanting a stand alone stove that sits in the corner of the house. We have a lot of friends with young kids that know no difference and we dont need them walking or crawling up to a stove and touching it. I realize that new wood stoves are extremely efficient and we would have one if we didn't have so many friends with young kids.

My question, is there a "efficient fireplace"? I am assuming that I can't buy a insert and build a rock wall around it and be good to go.....

Emulegs and Dirty Hippy..... This site has sub forums for everything, except something for burning wood.... FFS :facepalm:

You mods aught to grow some balls

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize that I am a freaking Genius, but when it comes to actually burning wood for heat I am ignorant.

We are considering selling our current house and building a new house. Right now we are in the process of looking at building plans so we can talk to builders on what this new potential house would cost us before we start talking to realtors on our current pad.

My wife is actually not very high maintenance, she only has 2 things that she really wants in this new place. One of them is a fireplace. She wants something in the room thats encased by stone....

So what kind of options do I have??? We have a few friends who have masonry fireplaces. The thing is with their fire places is that they only light a fire in them a few times a year, and when the fire is going it does absolutly nothing for heat. In fact I think the furnaces run more when the fireplace is going. It seems like when the fire is going that the heat from the fire is pulling the cooler air from the house out and up the chimney.

We are not wanting a stand alone stove that sits in the corner of the house. We have a lot of friends with young kids that know no difference and we dont need them walking or crawling up to a stove and touching it. I realize that new wood stoves are extremely efficient and we would have one if we didn't have so many friends with young kids.

My question, is there a "efficient fireplace"? I am assuming that I can't buy a insert and build a rock wall around it and be good to go.....

Emulegs and Dirty Hippy..... This site has sub forums for everything, except something for burning wood.... FFS :facepalm:

You mods aught to grow some balls

Search Out Soapstone Fireplace.

Before you turn away, they can be installed as an insert.

Most of my family are Buck Heater Insert fans, but Holland gets colder than Georgia, I Guarantee.

Added;
Uncle Ed has the Soapstone Heater.

Last edited:

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Search Out Soapstone Fireplace.

Before you turn away, they can be installed as an insert.

All my family are Buck Hester Insert fans, but Holland gets colder than Georgia, I Guarantee.

I think we saw 23 today.......

Maybe it was only 22

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want a zero clearance EPA fireplace. It has the look of a traditional fireplace( this is an insert so just thin veneer stone is needed for the surround) but will put out close to the heat of a newer style epa wood stove, some options even have ducting available to move heat to nearby rooms.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want a zero clearance EPA fireplace. It has the look of a traditional fireplace( this is an insert so just thin veneer stone is needed for the surround) but will put out close to the heat of a newer style epa wood stove, some options even have ducting available to move heat to nearby rooms.

Where do I even begin to look for one of these fireplaces?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The factory I work in is making cast iron insert fireplaces, as well as insert fireplaces that incorporate a water heat inverter that can be hooked up to Your house's central heating system if You are using water to distribute heat throughout the house.

The latter are gaining interest in Europe.

All insert fireplaces can also be had as stand alone non insert units in which case they are encased with additional cast iron or steel sheet panels to make them look more pleasing to the eye.

All fireplaces feature large doors, either single or multiple swing type, with equally large cutouts in them with fireproof glass.

I am not suggesting that You look for a product from the factory I work in!
I am just pointing out that there are options and alternatives as competition on the heating element market is high.

We are manufacturing a bunch of parts for ovens , stoves and fireplaces for export, mostly Italy , although not exclusively.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look at Kozy Heat. They look like a woodstove that you install in a block cavity and lay veneer or cultured stone over the face to enclose it, exposing only the doors. Last one I installed was about 15 years ago and was I think 85% efficient

Last edited:

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a good brand, http://www.fireplacex.com/ProductGuide/ProductDetail.aspx?modelsku=98500104
you can check out Napoleon and a few others too. The epa zero clearance units will probably be double the price of a standard zero clearance unit. But a standard zero clearance unit is just a fireplace and doesn’t really heat. The epa version is more like a wood stove insert but requires zero clearance to combustible material ( hence there name ) probably $3-4,000 for a decent unit plus chimney

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You tell 'em Genius. Take back our site...

Another option if you can get one is something like this:

You build it into a wall to get the look of a fireplace but the function of a furnace. I'm not sure if charmaster is still making them or not.