Help me upgrade my MS 462 spikes!

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you wanna spend your money on a nicer looking clutch cover, that's your call, but just so you know, the point of the taller cover is to keep you fingers and gloves out of the chain while using a wrap handlebar. There is no benefit with a regular handlebar.
The big one is not only longer at the bottom. It is also a lot wider, that will help to clear the ships if ur noodling much.
391CF314-B1E0-47DD-AE17-6EA88AFB5218.jpeg D34E244C-4ED5-4CAF-A889-0E0DDB6DBAFA.jpeg

friendlywithbears

a tree falling in the woods
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've got a ton of part orders out at the dealer, hopefully they're all in today or Monday. Will post up sweet sweet pics when I've got everything installed. Looking forward to running my franken462 c-m r rescue whatever :D

friendlywithbears

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What's the trick with installing this metal ring on the end of the roller catch bar? I have a feeling it's a very particular thinger that takes a very particular tool that I'm not familiar with.

Edit: Duh, nevermind! It's been a while since I saw one of these, and I'm pretty sure since my younger self didn't have the pliers then I just bashed it with a hammer and moved on...

IMG_20190328_180241.jpg

Last edited:

friendlywithbears

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm also wondering if this is enough of the roller pin to be in the inner spike. The wider cover came with spacers between the outer spike and the cover, which pushes everything out a bit.

Is this enough? Or should I remove the spacers and cut the outer spike bolts down a bit or see if my dealer has shorter hex bolts?

IMG_20190328_184957.jpg

Last edited:

friendlywithbears

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Remove the strange spacers from the rescue cover.
And cut the bolts and that’s it.

That's what I was hoping to hear! I wonder if there are cheap bolts from the regular cover that are sized right.

I loved the cute metal guard that goes over top of the spike too :D

Thanks @ferris!

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went to my local Ace and bought metric bolts that were the correct length. I also bought the nyloc matching nuts. I would take the clutch cover in along with your bolts/nuts and get out out of there for a dollar. Why pay the dealer and wait?

friendlywithbears

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I went to my local Ace and bought metric bolts that were the correct length. I also bought the nyloc matching nuts. I would take the clutch cover in along with your bolts/nuts and get out out of there for a dollar. Why pay the dealer and wait?

How dare you! running critical unapproved non-stihl parts :)

friendlywithbears

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nothing like some good hack sawing in the morning! Only notched the cover a few times...

Do folks generally ditch the aluminum chain catch with the roller installed? I couldn't think of a downside to just leaving it.

Cover and spikes finally installed! Just got to install the wrap now. Thanks all for the guidance.

IMG_20190329_100432.jpg
IMG_20190329_100825.jpg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
9:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Throw the metal catcher in the trash where it belongs. No need to have two catchers, especially after you spent the time installing the roller. The downsides to the metal catch? Many. For starters the chain gets buggered up every time you throw it. I’ve had saws break the DL off the bottom of the chain or leave burrs on them from hitting the metal catch. (FYI I don’t condone removing the metal catch and running no chain catcher, extremely dangerous. You need something there). My point is that a roller works a lot better, especially in a heavy duty logging environment.

Last edited: