Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well here is my current bench with a 395 consuming it. Roughly 2x3
Need to come up with a better "system" and make room for "momma" to park in the barn.

I have an old "chicken coop" that is attached to my pole barn. Use it as a compressor/junk storage room. 2 60gallon+20 gallon storage tank.Fully insulated with osb on the walls.

Approx 9 widex14 deep 6ft to the side, open span center. figure if the compressors stay I am losing 2x5 of "saw" space.

Plan on running a pipe from the owb to a cast iron radiator for heat, and either move the compressors to the barn or build a sound wall around them.

Thinking an L shaped bench along 2 walls. 23ft of bench space. Proabably 2ft deep, not sure how high? probably sit on a stool for port work 36-8" ?

Would like to devide into stations,
1, clean/teardown
2, layout,grinding/port work.
3, assembly
4 chain grinder/ vice for hand filing.

That will leave me roughly 5ft of bench space for each section?

Thinking some kind of tub to hold each saw/parts in progress to go round the bench.
General tools required in each section.

Would love to hear what works/dosent from you guys. wall cabnets? shelves? bolt/parts bins? shelves vs drawers under the bench?

And if you are handy with a Floorplan software, some drafts would be awesome... :)

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need a shed do do my saw work in :)

The more room you have the quicker it fills up, and longer it takes to clean....

Pretty sure a few bombs went off in my barn. I got to get it under control lol.

20 saws, 69 cutlass(on the project list) parts for my off road buggy along with bordering hoarding clutter.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
12:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of buildinga new shop and it's gonna have a small sealed off room just for grinding.
No matter how clean and careful you are everything gets aluminum on it.

After years of it my hands can't take anymore shavings from everything being covered in it. The steel mufflers are the worst so I'm keeping all of that in a small 10x10 room with a stainless steel bench and slick formica walls.

If you don't already wear something to cover you when grinding start before your full of metal shavings.

Don't forget lights,when you think you have to many put up a few more

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in the middle of buildinga new shop and it's gonna have a small sealed off room just for grinding.
No matter how clean and careful you are everything gets aluminum on it.

After years of it my hands can't take anymore shavings from everything being covered in it. The steel mufflers are the worst so I'm keeping all of that in a small 10x10 room with a stainless steel bench and slick formica walls.

If you don't already wear something to cover you when grinding start before your full of metal shavings.

Don't forget lights,when you think you have to many put up a few more

Thank you.

That is where I'm thinking 3/4 sealed totes will come in handy. Store everything but the jug in em while doing the grinding. I can see times where 2/3 saws will be tore down, waiting on parts. Most likely just do 1 at a time.

Think I am going to start brazing the mufflers up, so they will likely get done in another part of the barn.

Lightning is crucial as you mentioned. I already have 4, 4 bulb florescent fixtures. Going to try for 1 over each section.

Probably put tin over the entire bench, much easier to clean.

Guess I just gotta get the area cleaned, and a bench built to see how everything falls together.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 6 totes now and use buckets for each saw I tear down for porting or fixing. I have 2 benches 18x36". Saws are on all the shelves and totes are mostly full of stuff that isn't close to finished.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys like/dislike about your current setup.

My biggest hangup seems to be tool storage/arrangement.

Currently, I toss em all in a drawer after each build, kind of a pita sorting through during each build.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Magnet straps on the wall above the bench where I work on them. I have 2 12-14" long straps with all the hand tools to stihl and husky.

Thank you

I like that. Thinking maybe a small 3 drawer tool box to store all the porting burrs/supplies, or a clear drawer organizer sitting bench top.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Foredome has a great burr rack deal thingy. I use plastic storage totes,makes it handy to clean the saw since there all filthy. I use boiling water at 3500psi,spotless in just a second.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have you ground all day long yet?
It will make you soar in places you didn't know you had.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some big beautiful ridge beams freshly milled in case you want a new shed :)

4x12x18ft :)

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What do you guys like/dislike about your current setup.

My biggest hangup seems to be tool storage/arrangement.

Currently, I toss em all in a drawer after each build, kind of a pita sorting through during each build.
No real insulation...tin roof makes for drips in the cold and a stove that needs to be fed a fair bit .

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ground all day long yet?
It will make you soar in places you didn't know you had.

I've had 6-8 hours running the handpiece. know what ya talking about.

As for the hands, mine gonna be right with a ya in another 20ish years lol.

No real insulation...tin roof makes for drips in the cold and a stove that needs to be fed a fair bit .

Ok, what bout the bench itself? how ya got it setup?

My heater in the barn is just nuff to get the chill off, but all the parts/tools stay cold..

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some big beautiful ridge beams freshly milled in case you want a new shed :)

4x12x18ft :)

Lol, those could come in handy.

Don't plan on staying here more than 5 years, otherwise I would put up a new shop.