Help dating this photo please!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that picture was in Gerry B's book where he told about that giant redwood .100 foot up and 7 foot thick .I have a copy but can't find it at the moment .If so he was pretty good about telling who was in the pictures .

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that picture was in Gerry B's book where he told about that giant redwood .100 foot up and 7 foot thick .I have a copy but can't find it at the moment .If so he was pretty good about telling who was in the pictures .
May be in the book you speak of......But it’s not the infamous tree of Jerry G

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found it finally right where I left it,in the book case .Who would have thought of that ? It's an autographed copy but that picture is not in it . I was wrong about the redwood too. It was 150 foot up and 7 feet .
Gerry's wife Teri is one of my FB friends .I suppose if it was okay I could copy that pic and send it to her, maybe Gerry would know .
After thought,where was that picture taken ? Most of the area covered is Mendoceno -Humbolt county area of California .The book even mentions Paradise where the fire is/was . I don't recall any mention of Oregon or Washington state which would most likely the only places on earth a large tree that size would grow .

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's definitely a Mac 125 with probably a 72" bar. I would say that's early-mid 70's.

I have zero knowledge of saws from that era

I looked up the Mac 125 and got all kinds of stats but none of them listed the horsepower

I’m sure you guys would know

I’m betting it had all kinds of grunt power

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found it finally right where I left it,in the book case .Who would have thought of that ? It's an autographed copy but that picture is not in it . I was wrong about the redwood too. It was 150 foot up and 7 feet .
Gerry's wife Teri is one of my FB friends .I suppose if it was okay I could copy that pic and send it to her, maybe Gerry would know .
After thought,where was that picture taken ? Most of the area covered is Mendoceno -Humbolt county area of California .The book even mentions Paradise where the fire is/was . I don't recall any mention of Oregon or Washington state which would most likely the only places on earth a large tree that size would grow .
Used to have a poster of that, Rockport tree at the county yard.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used to have a poster of that, Rockport tree at the county yard.
I've got the poster too plus the whole story behind the tree .I cannot imagine being from an area a 120 foot white oak 4 feet in diameter is considered a big tree .I hope to one day make it to that area of the coast before I pass on .My lady friend has been .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the 125's .Mac never listed the HP but I would guess between 7.5 and 8 on the saw version conservatively . The kart version or the ultra light aircraft version reports higher but that might be an urban legion as often they are . Let's just say they have enough .

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the 125's .Mac never listed the HP but I would guess between 7.5 and 8 on the saw version conservatively . The kart version or the ultra light aircraft version reports higher but that might be an urban legion as often they are . Let's just say they have enough .

Thanks

I had a neighbor in the late 60s who was into kart racing

I remember he ran Mac engines as well as Komet (Comet?) and I still remember the high pitched scream of tuned pipes and the smell of castor oil

I took one of his carts for a hot lap once and it scared the crap out of me

It felt like a WHOLE LOT of power to me

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Al, come out West, I'll show the best of what is left.
hi Norm!
Big Redwoods start at 16 feet and go upto 20+++
My personal record is 11'9'', a crappy beginners tree that I scattered all over a hillside and was told ''good job'' as there was no where else for it to go.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you gentlemen. In the end, it probably is not my grandpa. Though that guy could be his twin. My grandpa was done working in the woods by 1970 and had opened up a saw shop, which finally closed in 2009. He passed away a few years later.

Did your grandpa have a shop on Highway 199 between Selma and Wilderville? I went down in 2005 and bought two pick up loads of old inventory from a guy there who was a partner in dealership
from 1966 to 1989.