High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Help Choosing Bar And Chain

G

Greenerpastures

Hi Everyone

I have a Shindaiwa 490 new, it looks like the old model 488 and not like the
one I see advertised a lot in the US, which we do not get here in Ireland.
In any event, it currently has an 18" Shiddaiwa bar and a Sarp G5 Chain,
which is ok, but I want to get a second bar to use for trimming hedges and removing
over hanging branches.
The current bar has the following markings,
514275 -18, .58 .325 72 9H , most of which I understand.

I want to use a 15" or 16" Oregon VersaCut bar, with an Oregon ControCut chain.
http://www.oregonproducts.eu/en/products/forestry-chainsaw.html
I think the chain will fit the VersaCut bar, it is a micro chisel and same specs as the 18"
other than length.

Problem is I can not find which Oregon VersaCut bar fits my saw, I see from the Oregon
site that and the documentation that came with my saw that the current drive sprocket
which I want to keep suits the 21BPX chain, but I have no way of knowing if the
VersaCut bar will fit my saw, and the oil holes line up etc.

I chose the VersaCut as it is a quality bar, and it takes the 21BPX, and I am going for the
ControlCut chain as it seems like a quality product and is available in .325, I only have 47.8cc
and this chain should not overly stress the saw.

Any comments on what .58 bar in either 15 or 16" will fit my saw, I do not need to go with
Oregon but I have no experience of other brands and how well they hold up.

Thanks in advance, john

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your bar should be a K095 mount. That's what my 488 is.

From the little info I can find in the verdict bars, the part number below should be a 15" .058 .325 bar in k095. If I'm correct, changing the first two numbers from 15 to 16 gets you a 16" bar. Honestly, I could be completely wrong, though it was a little tough finding info in the gauge.

158VXLGK095

radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have a Shindaiwa saw but a quick look at the Oregon Selector Guide shows it to have a K041 mount. The part numbers for the bars are 158VXLGK041 and 168VXLGK041.

G

Greenerpastures

Your bar should be a K095 mount. That's what my 488 is.

From the little info I can find in the verdict bars, the part number below should be a 15" .058 .325 bar in k095. If I'm correct, changing the first two numbers from 15 to 16 gets you a 16" bar. Honestly, I could be completely wrong, though it was a little tough finding info in the gauge.

158VXLGK095
Thanks Ryan
I think the 488 came with .50 rather than .58, which one is yours, I referenced the 488 for looks only, as there is a difference in the US sold 490 and the EU 490, but mine is definitely .58.
I found a few different bars in the oregon site for Shindaiwa saws, but no models like 490 or 452 etc, even if I did
I was worried they would be referencing the 490 sold in the US which physically looks different than the 490 I have in Ireland, that is my biggest problem as I simply do not know what version oregon or indeed any other bar maker is talking about.

G

Greenerpastures

Hmmm, I searched AS and saw an old post where others had stated that the 488 took a k041 mount as well.
I found at least two references to different bars on the oregon site that fit Shindaiwa saws, but they did not state
which model of Shindaiwa, that is the problem I'm having. I also want to use a .325 chain that fits what ever bar I chose, does the bar differ from a .325 to a 3/8 chain, or is it just the .50 and .58 that is different.
I do not want a narrow kerf.

Last edited by a moderator:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might be a little bit of a pain. I sure don't know which one it takes but if you can take the bar off your Saw and get a picture of the tail or back of the bar where the bar slot is one of these fellas can likely help then. I'm gonna guess its either 095 or 041. The 041 I THINK oils through the bar adjustment slot. The 095 has a separate hole for the oil to pump into.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found at least two references to different bars on the oregon site that fit Shindaiwa saws, but they did not state
which model of Shindaiwa, that is the problem I'm having. I also want to use a .325 chain that firs what ever bar I chose, does the bar differ from a .325 to a 3/8 chain, or is it just the .50 and .58 that is different.
I do not want a narrow kerf.
The bar tip will differ on the .325 and 3/8. Unless it has no sprocket

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you go Oregon they will have the chain pitch included on the description when you buy typically. However I've never had to order anything from where you live

Alderman

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of my smaller Shindaiwa saws are carrying 041 bars. Including 500, 488 and 490. Larger saws use 009.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk