Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so here's the question.

I'm looking for a good ac/dc tig to keep at my house. I run a syncrowave 250 at the shop. Nice unit water cooled torch and all the bells and whistles.

Have a opportunity to buy a low use syncrowave 180 for $1500. (No tanks) It's a pretty base unit and air cooled torch. Don't know it it can be upgraded to a water cooled easily or for how much. I'm going to guess not possible or very expensive.

Give me some of your thoughts on if it sounds like a good deal of if I should pass.

I won't be using it heavily very often. Mostly for a/c tig aluminum.

Steven

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
6:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Water cooler would be real nice for aluminum or you’ll be taking lots of breaks to let it cool. I’ve not done any rigging up since we usually have all that stuff there when we do aluminum at work.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can put a water cooled torch on about any tig welder, you just have to find the correct adapters to the power lug on the machine. Most now days run a 35 or 50 size DINSE connector, then you can plumb your water lines how you want.

I'm usually fine with the air cooled torch for 10 min welding at 125 amps or so, works fine for most repair jobs. Stubby gas lens kit for the #17 air cooled torch lets you run #20 sized cups.

For $1500 you can get into a new Lincoln Tig 200 with all the bells and whistles, I just got one last fall and I'm loving it over my old transformer Lincoln AC/DC 300 Tig.

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well....how thick do you anticipate welding? That’ll determine how big a machine you want. Like they mentioned above the air cooled torch isn’t bad in short bursts. It seems to me like I just get going on a nice stack of dimes and then things get hot! Lol.

If it’s thinner stuff and small repairs I see no reason the 180 won’t work. If you anticipate adding a cooler then it might become cost prohibitive to get the smaller rig and add the cooler. Some of the bigger rigs will have a better duty cycle and more features if you know how to use them. I suppose you could get the 180 and see if it fits your needs. If not you could sell it and upgrade. I doubt it drops much in value with good care and periodic use.

highland_hunter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about the Forney units? Don't have the recognition of the Lincolns and Millers, but not Chinese POS either. Send in the rebate forms and probably less than the $1500 currently looking at. Just an idea.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about the Forney units? Don't have the recognition of the Lincolns and Millers, but not Chinese POS either. Send in the rebate forms and probably less than the $1500 currently looking at. Just an idea.

As far as I know they are based off Esab units and only have DC output... no AC for aluminum and magnesium.

highland_hunter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appreciate the input from you guys.

I'm probably going to pass on the 180 and hold out for something higher end. I won't be using it every day. But I want the capabilities to do more than the 180 can the more I think about it.

Steven