Hello New Here... Stihl 261 Question

ratherbehuntin

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi All,

Im a newb here but been cutting firewood for a while now. Wanting to add a 261 to my arsenal.

Do I want the M tronic version or the regular carb version. I cut mainly at or close to sea level, rarely go above 2,000 feet and most of my wood is Oak & walnut at 600 ft. elevation.

thank you all for your help.

Guess Ill be looking in classifieds soon..... cool site here. Anyone got a ripping deal on a saw?

cheers.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be honest I believe it’s hard to beat the Mtronic for a work saw. Sure a regular carb version you can fine tune it but the simplicity of just picking it up and cutting without having to adjust anything is worth a lot for the average firewood cutter.

Don’t get me wrong I like being able to tune my saws and wouldn’t think of getting rid of them but I do really like the Mtronic system as well.

Again just my opinion.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to start a fight on your 1st post? :argue:Welcome i’m pretty new here too. MTronic vs. adjustable csrb is a matter of opinion. Some like Mtronic and some hate it. Personally i like it and think it works well. Buy whatever you feel comfortable buying

Last edited:

Two Trax

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not one that always embraces change, so I sat on the sidelines for quite a while with technology like Motronic and Autotune. But about 3 years ago I found a very good deal on a 261 Motronic and decided to try one.

It has thus far been a stellar performer. I liked it so much that when another deal came up on a MMWS 261 Motronic, I bought that one too. That one will really put a smile on your face!

So give one a try, I believe you will find you like it!

ratherbehuntin

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
awesome guys, thank you very much. Im gonna pull the trigger on an m-tronic then! I dont enjoy stopping to tune or stopping cutting in general. I take enough breaks with my axe and maul...... my back is getting old.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 261 Mtronic is a ripping saw...it’ll serve you well.

And welcome to the hellhole!

Should find a link to Randy’s website in his signature line below any of his posts.

ratherbehuntin

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
do you have a link to Randys site? All i found was a blog. But I am "challenged."

and thank you for your Service in the Marines also!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see this Blog thing now...it used to link to his website.

Hey Monkey Man @Mastermind ...get that ape ass over here and help this young man out! ;):D

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Little food for thought...unless you’re dead set loyal to Stihl, a Husky 550XP Autotune will fill the bill as well. The latest Mark II versions are out...a little heavier than the original 550XP, but damn good saws for the money.

ratherbehuntin

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Little food for thought...unless you’re dead set loyal to Stihl, a Husky 550XP Autotune will fill the bill as well. The latest Mark II versions are out...a little heavier than the original 550XP, but damn good saws for the money.

stihl lover sorry I cant change all my bumper stickers over to husky now.

That said, our ranch foreman has a 372xp and it rips it up. Very nice 70cc saw.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mtronics perform great, there adjust to all conditions and provided everything is working are probably the best option for most people. I like tuning my saws, believe I can do it pretty well so I bought non MT ms261's and they have been very good reliable saws. I don't tune every time I use them, sometimes I'll cut for a few months without making an adjustment.