Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
8:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't file the rakers that low all at once. Drop them slowly until she eats the way you want, in the type of wood you cut most. I have chains that will slice through pine, but are no fun at all in a hard oak log.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting morning with the new saw. It started right up and went through about a half tank of gas tuning and letting it break in. Started a haf dozen times or so. After lunch my brother in law stopped in to see it and BAM! back to kicking back and feeling like it was hydo locked, which I knew it wasn't. JLong story short and some bad words later it was the Hyway decompression valve. Took it out and put in the one from the Farmertec kit and it starts like it is supposed to. Put the Hyway one in and you can't start it. Will be going to the dealer this week and get an OEM one. Took it to my brother in laws and he had a 24" hackberry down. Didn't time the cuts but the Holzforma(?) Bar and chain did pretty well. He said it would smoke his ms290.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting morning with the new saw. It started right up and went through about a half tank of gas tuning and letting it break in. Started a haf dozen times or so. After lunch my brother in law stopped in to see it and BAM! back to kicking back and feeling like it was hydo locked, which I knew it wasn't. JLong story short and some bad words later it was the Hyway decompression valve. Took it out and put in the one from the Farmertec kit and it starts like it is supposed to. Put the Hyway one in and you can't start it. Will be going to the dealer this week and get an OEM one. Took it to my brother in laws and he had a 24" hackberry down. Didn't time the cuts but the Holzforma(?) Bar and chain did pretty well. He said it would smoke his ms290.
I don't trust any of the am decomps.
No issue's with other am part's.
But they just can't get the decomps right.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think he is going to have me build him one but , of course, mine will be a 56mm and his a 54mm. Time to gut the muuffler and file the flywheel key.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think he is going to have me build him one but , of course, mine will be a 56mm and his a 54mm. Time to gut the muuffler and file the flywheel key.
Seriously though that 290 will benefit greatly from a muffler mod and a little timing advance. Trim the limiters and retune. They go from turd to a respectable firewood saw with just a little work.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK guys, a little baffled here. I have 3 decomp valves Farmertec, Hyway and OEM and they will all do the same thing. If when trying to start the saw and it gets just a little too rich the saw kicks back and rips the handle out of your fingers and it usually snaps the decomp closed so hard it pops the rubber tip off of all 3 of them. You can't start the saw. If I take the decomp out and blow it out with compressed air it will work till I try to start with it rich, not flodded. If I crank it with the choke closed till it pops it is flodded and will never start. If I choke it and pull it through 2 compressions it will usually start when I take the choke off. Once it starts it runs like a scalded dog but sometimes it is a "B" to start. Any thought from wiser gentlemen than me?
thanks

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ignition timing is advanced about 6 degrees but I put it back to stock and same thing.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you checked the metering lever height in the carb? Sounds like she's getting a bit too much fuel.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, pressure tested and checked lever height. I bought a carb off ebay thinking it had a replaceable jet but no such luck. Even said walbro on it. It checked that carb and swapped it onto the saw an same thing. I am running the mix at about 30:1 for the first 5 of 6 tanks of fuel. Only thing I can figure is oil is getting into the decomp and screwing it up. I had to drill out the OEM decomp valve to 3/32" to get enough decompression to be able to start the saw. Not sure how much PSI compression it has. It has a Hyway 56mm kit with about .025 squish, 6 degrees ignition advance and a dual port muffler. I don't think it is all that modified to be such a PITA to start if decomp valve gets wet.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you drop starting or placing the saw on the ground?

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you drop starting or placing the saw on the ground?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing unusual for a saw that has just been worked on and still has oil above the piston rings. Get it going and keep it running and cut with it a bit to get good and warmed to rid itself of this excess oil. should return to normal after that.