High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Heating Bearings in Microwave

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Science experiment by school in IIRC Oregon?? bought 24 identical plants. 12 were watered by water brought to boil on stove (after it cooled). 12 were watered by water boiled in microwave (after It cooled). All 12 watered with microwave water died. Same growing conditions. Hypothesis was the molecular structure was changed when superheated by MW. Will it do the same to bearings? Food for thought. After reading that article no more MW for me.
Shep

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that article was de-bunked. Micro-waving water doesn't change the molecular structure of it.

I know the early microwave ovens couldn't handle anything metallic. Has that changed?

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Science experiment by school in IIRC Oregon?? bought 24 identical plants. 12 were watered by water brought to boil on stove (after it cooled). 12 were watered by water boiled in microwave (after It cooled). All 12 watered with microwave water died. Same growing conditions. Hypothesis was the molecular structure was changed when superheated by MW. Will it do the same to bearings? Food for thought. After reading that article no more MW for me.
Shep

We're non-nukers too. Don't even have one in the house.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is nothing nuclear about microwaves , radio waves cause heating, nothing different than heating something up in a conventional oven. Cell phones towers and Wi-Fi transmit just slightly different radio waves that don't cause heating. Microwaves are okay because the waves stay in the box, Wi-Fi systems and cell phone towers may or may not cause harm long term, which is why every cell phone comes with the warning to hold it at least 10mm away from your head lol. The type of things people worry about microwaves do is quite funny to me, because only slightly different waves are going through our bodies 24/7 nowadays.[emoji111]

I would say heating the bearings up in a microwave would save some of the plastic in some of the bearings used in saws.

Last edited:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is nothing nuclear about microwaves , radio waves cause heating, nothing different than heating something up in a conventional oven. Cell phones towers and Wi-Fi transmit just slightly different radio waves that don't cause heating. Microwaves are okay because the waves stay in the box, Wi-Fi systems and cell phone towers may or may not cause harm long term, which is why every cell phone comes with the warning to hold it at least 10mm away from your head lol. The type of things people worry about microwaves do is quite funny to me, because only slightly different waves are going through our bodies 24/7 nowadays.[emoji111]

IIRC microwaves were developed from aircraft radar, which can be harmful to humans and their various organs, depending on the frequency or intensity and time of exposure.

Therefore it's more likely that the power of the radio waves being emitted is controlled to a frequency level that it's "not harmful" to humans.

So, whether your microwave is actually emitting waves at a level that are harmful is invisible, and left to trust by us towards the gov't and manufacturers.

IMO the food that people are nuking is more likely to cause them health concerns than the machine itself.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IIRC microwaves were developed from aircraft radar, which can be harmful to humans and their various organs, depending on the frequency or intensity and time of exposure.

Therefore it's more likely that the power of the radio waves being emitted is controlled to a frequency level that it's "not harmful" to humans.

So, whether your microwave is actually emitting waves at a level that are harmful is invisible, and left to trust by us towards the gov't and manufacturers.

IMO the food that people are nuking is more likely to cause them health concerns than the machine itself.

The food is being heated, nothing more. The waves are localized.. There is a frequency spectrum, the frequencies emitted by cell phone towers and Wi-Fi systems are just one step away the same frequencies used in say microwaves. Some agree that the frequencies used are too close to the heating frequencies and potentially dangerous long-term. The FCC determines approval of these transmitters simply by whether or not they cause heating, that is the only standard.[emoji44] and they are not localized or even that directional.[emoji111]

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any reason why dropping the bearing in boiling water, or steaming it would be any different?

Anything I’ve ever boiled has evaporated water almost instantly when I took it out.

I’ve seen TreeMonkey use a hot pot, like the ones we had in college, to heat bearings. He just plugs it in and it heats up the oil. Easy peasy.

I’d probably just toaster oven the bearing and not use the MW myself.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I would sooner use my TIG torch to heat bearings than use a microwave.

Ever seen what happens when you put metal into a microwave? You get big SPARKS that look an awful lot to me like ARC STRIKES which are bad juju metallurgically. In welding, arc strikes that aren't welded over = FAIL because arc strikes make the metal super-hard and prone to cracking/failure because they act as stress risers...

What's wrong with the tried-and-true method of heating bearings in a conventional oven, anyway? This sounds like a "solution" in search of a problem to me...