Heated Handles?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
10:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dropped by my local Stihlership to share some Christmas cheer today.

I have been considering a heated handle saw either an 550XPG or a MS261CM-VW and was told that they time to buy a Stihl Arctic was coming in the new year.

Not only does Stihl have 2 pro saws going on promo for their Warm Up To Winter but for the first time ever they also have the Arctic versions on promo.

Not only the 261's will be listed but also the MS441CM's and MS441CM-VW's two saws that aren't even listed on the Stihl USA site...

If anyone is interested let me know, my dealer should have stock by the end if the first week of January. With each $1USD buying $1.35CAD it might be worth doing some cross border shopping...

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just don't understand the lack of all Arctic models in the U.S.

The market of Northern states that have cold and winter has to be larger than the Canadian market. Just boggles my mind.

Agreed. It gets PLENTY cold enough on Wisconsin to warrant heated handlebars. Heck, we buy heated socks. I brought my new 440-VW into my Stihl shop last week (to order a set of dogs that will hopefully match this time...). I pointed out the switch to the main tech there. He had never seen a saw with heated handles. I couldn't believe that.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well stopped by the dealer today. It would seem that the 261 Arctics where so popular this year that Western Canada is sold out and the ones my dealer ordered are on back order. Currently waiting for a new shipment to arrive from Germany and won't be available in store until the end of January.

They are certain that they are going to be V2 style saws, they have 3 on order for the store right now 1 is for me the other 2 are waiting for me to claim so if you want one I need to know sooner than later.

441 Arctic is available in store and 461 / 661 versions ready to ship from the warehouse.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well stopped by the dealer today. It would seem that the 261 Arctics where so popular this year that Western Canada is sold out and the ones my dealer ordered are on back order. Currently waiting for a new shipment to arrive from Germany and won't be available in store until the end of January.

They are certain that they are going to be V2 style saws, they have 3 on order for the store right now 1 is for me the other 2 are waiting for me to claim so if you want one I need to know sooner than later.

441 Arctic is available in store and 461 / 661 versions ready to ship from the warehouse.
How much is the 461?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just don't understand the lack of all Arctic models in the U.S.

The market of Northern states that have cold and winter has to be larger than the Canadian market. Just boggles my mind.

They really aren't as popular as we might think. That's why husky stopped bringing in the larger G models like the 390 and 395. Part of the problem is that most dealers won't stock them. I always did, and they would sell. But you can tell they don't move as well by looking at the serial numbers on the saws. G's always tended to have older numbers cause they wouldn't do a production run as often. Exception is the pallet of 562XPG's that I just got today, because they were on backorder from Husky, so they are fresh, (Nov 2016), production. But I'll bet we'll see that same build week for a while yet on that model.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heated handles are over rated. Good pair of gloves does the trick. ;)

Perhaps you're being sarcastic, in which case ignore the rest of my post.

You're 18, right? Or almost 18 perhaps? Did you know that blood circulation gets worse the older you get? Also, I'm not sure where you live in Oregon, but there's places that people cut wood in sub-zero temperatures. You spend much time cutting below zero? If so, please enlighten me about which "good pair of gloves" I should try out. Keep in mind, heated handles on some models adds about $100 to the price. There's some nice gloves out there, but they aren't cheap. Saving money on heated handles only to have to buy $40 gloves instead of the $7 ones I wear is a false economy. Also, right before I got a heated saw, I was on a tree removal job. Started the day at 40 degrees with rain. By 3:00 it was about 18 and snowing. I had soaked through 3 pairs of gloves and was on my fourth pair of the day. I could barely feel my fingers. Heated handles would have been a godsend that day.

Overrated? Maybe to you. To me, priceless (unless you're selling a heated saw to me. In that case, yeah they're nice, but it's not like I can't live without them. ;))

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work outside all winter. Not all day every day, but I'm out there a lot. I want a heated cab on my tractor, but that ain't gonna happen. Heated accessories might not be "necessary", but they sure are appreciated. I just bought a DeWalt heated coat. I'd love to figure out a heated steering wheel cover and joystick knob for the tractor.

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I work outside all winter. Not all day every day, but I'm out there a lot. I want a heated cab on my tractor, but that ain't gonna happen. Heated accessories might not be "necessary", but they sure are appreciated. I just bought a DeWalt heated coat. I'd love to figure out a heated steering wheel cover and joystick knob for the tractor.

I bought a DeWalt coat two years ago during a spring sale. Works great. Especially when i have winter fall stump grinding jobs. My wife was Not happy when she found my truck new two years ago has a heated steering wheel. I thought it was overkill but on near zero temp days I don't have any problems turning it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have worked all day out side in sub zero Temps and even with good gloves and those hand warmer bags in the gloves and still wish had something more. I have never had the benefits of running a saw with heated handles but am now carrying at least one at the shop now. Guess what happens if it doesn't sell?

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I try not to cut trees in the winter and I have been called on three jobs this month already and we have had several below zero temps. I'm not a fan off cutting in low temps beyond a round or two fire personal use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk