Hate to say it...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
82380E31-B951-48FB-B399-2ABCF493381F.jpeg This one here had about a gallon an half. I’m gonna go out again soon. A good gallon an a half makes it through the year. Shelf life of this stuff I figure 15 Year’s. After that the sparkles seem to loose suspension I guess if you shake it up. Whale oil is next best. Lotta oil in them heads

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well..... Time to share some. Come on now. [emoji16]

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you think the water is aiding in the phase separation?

Absolutely. Without water to saturate the ethanol, the ethanol-water solution will not separate from the gasoline-oil mixture.

Without MTBE, ethanol is what gives motor fuel its knock resistance. When you add enough water (or water vapor), the ethanol becomes saturated with water and no longer soluble in the gasoline. At that point you get phase separation, where the ethanol and water solution (with rust and trash) sits on the bottom of the tank, with (lower-octane) gasoline and oil mixture floating on top. We see this in boats all the time.

If the tank pickup sits in the ethanol-water layer, the saw will burn ethanol/water (vodka) with no oil until it stops.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I run all sealed plastic cans now. No problems if you keep them out of the sun. They need auto-vent valves

Were not going down "the boat gas and black death" road, are we? Eewwww...

We burn all our old boat gas cruising up and down the Delaware river to get rid of it. You can only start so many bone fires. Some years we would have a hundred to two hundred gallons of dead gas. 18 gallon porta tanks and old outboards under-propped love it!

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I run all sealed plastic cans now. No problems if you keep them out of the sun.

Yep, I mean, who would do something as CRAZY as to use a BOAT on a SUNNY DAY?

God help you if you shut down the motor and fail to either unscrew the lid of the gas tank or disconnect the fuel line from the motor, because that gas tank is gonna get hot and pressurized and push so *f-wording much gas into that outboard engine that it's gonna be flooded when you try to start it again (hopefully not in an inlet shortly before hitting rocks or downcurrent of a big outbound commercial vessel) ... DAMHIKT.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep, I mean, who would do something as CRAZY as to use a BOAT on a SUNNY DAY?

God help you if you shut down the motor and fail to either unscrew the lid of the gas tank or disconnect the fuel line from the motor, because that gas tank is gonna get hot and pressurized and push so *frenching much gas into that outboard engine that it's gonna be flooded when you try to start it again (hopefully not in an inlet shortly before hitting rocks or downcurrent of a big outbound commercial vessel) ... DAMHIKT.
We love watching people do that *s-word. Just get a radio, your favorite coooooold ones and a chair. Hours and hours of free entertainment to be had at a "free" Sunday boat ramp!

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just annoying...I've been running boats close to 50 years, and up until recently, boat gas tanks let pressure OUT as well as air IN...stupid farking EPA bureaucrats gonna get somebody killed...especially ridiculous when you consider that the supposed POINT of the whole exercise was to prevent 3 MICROGRAMS of fuel from evaporating, but because they dictated that fuel vents NOT work, now 3 GIGATONS of gasoline get dumped into flooded engines per year as a result...drowning countless polar bears and unicorns (the one consolation prize)...

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 126927 This one here had about a gallon an half. I’m gonna go out again soon. A good gallon an a half makes it through the year. Shelf life of this stuff I figure 15 Year’s. After that the sparkles seem to loose suspension I guess if you shake it up. Whale oil is next best. Lotta oil in them heads
Making oil great again.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wanna see phase seperation, come down to coastal Georgia.
Humidity and temp. change

The real damage is to rubber/ plastic parts. EPA fuel hose seperates between the layers.
EPA said we had to use the new hose because fuel was migrating out thru the hose.

Temp. does things to the ethanol.
It will keep all sorts of stuff in solution/ dissolved. The motor will work fine for a while.

What happens to the fuel after the filters on into the carb, pumps, etc gets costly.

You run the motor, it gets hot. Then shut it down. Now the hot fuel in the bowls, injectors etc. heated by the motor cools down.
When it cools stuff drops out of solution and collects in the bowl.
It looks like a tan oil/goo.
Now you pour out the fuel in the bowl and set it down for a minute.
The remaining fuel evaporates and this tan sand forms and becomes hard as a rock.

When the motor sucks up the goo and shoves it to one of the injectors you run lean burn things etc.

The crud forming and the rubber, metal, plastic eating from ethanol is worse than phase seperation.

The feds rules state that the fuel supplier cannot mix the ethanol into the gas until the gas is being loaded into i fuel tanker to be deilered for use.
If the feds say it eats tanks, lines, and seperates in large storage tanks i don't want it.
Use it fast, daily in a nonvented system it is OK but small engine and weekend use it has major issues.

K2 is the oil to use.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope. Went through all of this last year. Not one place in new england that I could find. I called every marina on ocean and lake. Only places that have it are airports. 100LL
But they wont sell it to me. Guy looked out the window and said no wings, no fuel. Lol
Believe me, I called every single place!
I use canned fuel. VP SEF. Buy it by the 5 gallon can. Stuff aint cheap.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope. Went through all of this last year. Not one place in new england that I could find. I called every marina on ocean and lake. Only places that have it are airports. 100LL
But they wont sell it to me. Guy looked out the window and said no wings, no fuel. Lol

Sounds like you need to slap some wings on the ol duramax

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Good one W. I gotta go back and try that. Or go to a different airport. Lol

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Go to Logan, they'll let you fill whatever. I forget if they have avegas at the pumps but they have e85 and they'll let you pump that right into 55 gallon drums in the bed of your truck.