Hate to say it...

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seen separation here with others ope mix. Get saws in with issues first thing I do is dump their mix in clear qt jar to let settle and have a look. Some weird chit in some folks tank and mix.

Just a little read on it online.

2 Cycle Phase Separation
seized-piston-web_140_126_80.jpg
The engine to the right has been destroyed from phase separated fuel. Ethanol is hygroscopic (absorbs water), the vial to the right is from the fuel tank of this engine. The fuel on top is gold in color because 2 cycle oil will only bond with the gasoline. The octane is also lower because the ethanol has separated from it and bonded with the water below. Approximately ¾ of the clear fluid in the bottom of the vial is ethanol. The ethanol water mix settles in the bottom of the fuel tank and is picked up by the fuel system, then delivered to the carburetor. The engine ran on this ethanol mixture, causing it to run extremely hot with no lubrication. This damage occurs in only a few minutes of operation. The engine also ran out of control, which poses serious safety concerns for the equipment operator.

Phase separation do to moisture is a different problem than the oil simply falling out of suspension, two totally different things. I've seen this in lawn mowers as much as 2 cycle engines, the carb bowels are often full of water. The oil plays little to no role here IMHO.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Idk, ive used a few different oils over the last handful of years, used to be a LOT more careless about leaving ethanol fuel mix in saws/trimmers/blowers. Never burned up an engine. My 125l string trimmer has been abused in every way possible, including ethanol containing fuel left over winter for 5+ months (every year for i think 8 years now?) never an issue, no carb kit, no fuel line/filter replaced, original spark plug....anymore, im tempted to think oem runs of rubber lines of varying quality have more to do with fuel system issues than anything else.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not an ethanol proponent by any means, ive just never personally experienced the issues we hear a lot about. I usually burn close to 100 gallons of mix a year (mostly in 6-7 months, mostly in blowers/trimmers) every damn bit of it is regular pump gas with ethanol.

Last edited:

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's how I've always done it with outboard engines and inboard marine engines (350 Chevy)...YMMV.

Yip. My Sea-Doo same way. If I knew I wasn’t going to ride it for a few weeks I would start it out of the water and spray the fogging oil and let the engine RPMs fall pretty good then hit the kill switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the deal with the car boned up pistons? How many tanks do you generally run to get a piston top dark enough you can read it? I've put half a gallon of this blue stuff that I found in the shed that claims to be semi synthetic but everything is clean looking, just a little black oil in the exhaust port.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the deal with the car boned up pistons? How many tanks do you generally run to get a piston top dark enough you can read it? I've put half a gallon of this blue stuff that I found in the shed that claims to be semi synthetic but everything is clean looking, just a little black oil in the exhaust port.
Runnin rich? If the saw is tuned lean enough , loaded, and gettin up to temp. Any oil/fuel should carbon the piston top with time. Different oils take varying time to carbon the piston. Yamalube 2r combust so well it will carbon the crown within several tanks

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Still talking oil :confused::p SMH :risas3:

Time to order another case of KL200.

Run what you like.

I know what works for my motors and what the head tech I talked to told me about ethanol and KL200.
I tried for 13 months on a test batch to get my mix to separate and it wouldnt, even leaving it open to draw in moisture. ;)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of us are always looking for that unicorn magic oil for our beloved 2 stroke machines. LOL

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Runnin rich? If the saw is tuned lean enough , loaded, and gettin up to temp. Any oil/fuel should carbon the piston top with time. Different oils take varying time to carbon the piston. Yamalube 2r combust so well it will carbon the crown within several tanks

Ah OK. It's a fairly fresh motor with less than a gallon through it. I did notice after every log I noodled it would start 4 stroking in cut and I could take like another 1/16th of a turn out of the H. Probably need to keep running it it until it stops doing that and then I'll start to get a pattern on the piston.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh it separates. Left an ms310 on the wood pile one cold night with H1R and pump eth10. It separated and wasted the motor in under thirty seconds. Leaned out and fell off. All dry inside. Ran soo good for fifteen seconds. I noticed it right away and should have put it down right away. Water was in the eth with fuel and oil on top.
That's my point. The problem is that it had water in it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL. Aren't we all.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's my point. The problem is that it had water in it.
Do you think the water is aiding in the phase separation?
The fuel and oil did not separate. It will if the temps drop farther. It did that the next week after it got cooler.

I have seen fuel an certain oils just layer up in a glass jar. This fuel was still mixed on the top with oil. It smelled wrong and was fresh fuel that week. Something is going on with the water besides separation. I think it steals the light ends and they migrate to the eth and water. This makes the fuel stale and octane deficient.

Runs hard, steams dry and then comes the piss poor fuel. Good deal :confused:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[emoji106] I did similar with R50 and pump fuel, I saw zero separation or moisture absorption. I agree with you, run what works best for you.
Still talking oil :confused::p SMH :risas3:

Time to order another case of KL200.

Run what you like.

I know what works for my motors and what the head tech I talked to told me about ethanol and KL200.
I tried for 13 months on a test batch to get my mix to separate and it wouldnt, even leaving it open to draw in moisture. ;)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Good question. I am still looking

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time