Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Allegedly... I might be doing some comparison research of yankee mash vs. rebel mash.... some yankees may tend to use a fair amount of barley in their mash, but want to taste someone else's recipe.

I never made shine from mash. I made a lot of wine, and anytime I had a vat the didn't clear properly, I made brandy from it.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Allegedly... I might be doing some comparison research of yankee mash vs. rebel mash.... some yankees may tend to use a fair amount of barley in their mash, but want to taste someone else's recipe.

I always lament that my syrup equipment only gets used for one month a year. Sure would be nice if there was an easy way to make it do double duty...

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always lament that my syrup equipment only gets used for one month a year. Sure would be nice if there was an easy way to make it do double duty...
LMAO was sitting here thinking the same thing..
f0819459ea34015b26a28c6948cb23f6.jpg

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

LMAO was sitting here thinking the same thing..
f0819459ea34015b26a28c6948cb23f6.jpg

I just drained mine last night. There's probably a couple more good days running ahead of us, but I've been checking taps since the last week of January. Enough is enough at some point.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just drained mine last night. There's probably a couple more good days running ahead of us, but I've been checking taps since the last week of January. Enough is enough at some point.
This is my last boil. About half my trees are soft Maple and the buds are getting fat. A few have dried up.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I think we are about done as well. Have to see what this next week brings.
Does the flavor change as the season progresses? Ive always wondered if there was a time that you got a better quality product?

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the flavor change as the season progresses? Ive always wondered if there was a time that you got a better quality product?
I like the darker syrup/later runs. It's all personal preference though. Wait too long and it gets bitter I guess. Never had any that I didn't like really.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the drycleaning industry we constant filter the solvent, perclorethelene, while cleaning the clothes.
Every few days we distill a portion of the solvent in a stainless steel still. Use steam to heat it to about 135 deg. You vary the steam pressure to regulate the temp.
The vapors then travel thru a water cooled heat exchanger bringing the solvent back to liquid.

My father back in the 60s had ATF come in every few years and check the still for mash.

The drycleaning still is perfect for mash, temp is nearly the same and with a SS pot and copper cooling coil to neutralize acidity it will be clean and mellow.
I can run 30 galls of solvent thru it in about 3 hours so production will be good.
I do not drink as a rule but i do sample some homemade stump juice that friends come across for quality.

An old farmer told me that the type of corn is very important for taste.
He still runs off a small batch for sampling at dove shoots in the fall. No sales and no taking any home. You can try it if you like but he will not supply it for you beyond that.

He is in his 80s and only does it cause the government says he can't.

Excess grapes off the grape vines can be thrown in a cooler along with sugar and yeast, let sit a month then drain and bottle. It can be stronger than regular wine too.

I like K2 for oil.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm with beaglebriar, I prefer the darker stuff personally. Most of the time anyway. The early season light syrup is very tasty in its own way. The vast majority of our customers prefer dark syrup too, but now that enough of them have sampled the light stuff I do have to bottle a fair amount up. Otherwise I blend all my syrup to end up with a consistent product in each bottle (hopefully).

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a matter of fact, here's a picture of my buddy Cory filling a quart from the bucket of light syrup. I'll bottle a couple gallons up for him, but he couldn't wait that long. :)rps20180330_213930_776.jpg

I snapped the picture because I thought like he looked like the hamburgler's maple syrup snatching cousin.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are a Leader Evaporator Distributor @ work.........as a side gig........to support my bosses bad habits.
You should see the Sugar Shack I drew up and made shop drawings for.....

View attachment 118461

Holy smokes!! That's a nice setup! Now I need to find a napkin to wipe the drool off my face.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really don’t like oil threads
View attachment 118347

You’re killing me Julian

Why the 7000 over the 9000? Any particular reason, or "just because Tree Monkey says so"? I know the 9000 is more expensive.

I can't remember what the 7000 costs but the 9000 is almost $16/qt here.