High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Has the 661 been proven like the 066/660?

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Torque isn't any good when your saw won't start.

If I could buy a standard carb 661 I'd be all over it like stink on *s-word.

I didn't get a chance to read through this whole thread yet to see if someone mentioned it or not but...
You can get a WJ-69 carb and put on it. You have to leave all the M-tronics hooked up (solenoid valve and included or otherwise you'llbreak the circuit) just let it hang in the air filter box. Now you have a tunable saw and the only thing that your using the coil for is spark.
A friend of mine helped me out with this I don't want to name him in case he wants to remain anonymous. You can also buy a non M-tronic coil that can be purchased. I looked it up and one can be had for $129 on e-bay when I looked last week.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't get a chance to read through this whole thread yet to see if someone mentioned it or not but...
You can get a WJ-69 carb and put on it. You have to leave all the M-tronics hooked up (solenoid valve and included or otherwise you'llbreak the circuit) just let it hang in the air filter box. Now you have a tunable saw and the only thing that your using the coil for is spark.
A friend of mine helped me out with this I don't want to name him in case he wants to remain anonymous. You can also buy a non M-tronic coil that can be purchased. I looked it up and one can be had for $129 on e-bay when I looked last week.

Before I get more pissed off than I already am I'm gonna try these new green solenoids and hope for the best, I'm so tired of messing with some of these computer saws I cant even convey it by typing.

Idk about you guys..but I tried the part number for that latest solenoid and my parts dude said it's not a valid number yet and nothing showed up.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
4:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
using the m-tron coil only for spark coul give you some problems tuning the saw.
cause m-tron uses ign timing and fuel for dialing in the right setting.
that can cause some weird issues.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
David Major has a non MTronic European 661 for sale in the classifieds.

I’d like to see one of those Ported & ran against a Ported MTronic 661....

@Mastermind
@tree monkey
@David Major
@Redbull661
@Jon1212
@Gentleman
@Roll Tide
From what I have read there have been no gains from going to non-m-tronic, reliability yes, and milling you could richen it up for that, but I don’t think there is a power difference

I like old school, but I am not changing my 661 until the m- tronic has a major problem!

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I have read there have been no gains from going to non-m-tronic, reliability yes, and milling you could richen it up for that, but I don’t think there is a power difference

I like old school, but I am not changing my 661 until the m- tronic has a major problem!

fcf8434b57d5af69ed23e4b3fc52c0c2.jpg

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
using the m-tron coil only for spark coul give you some problems tuning the saw.
cause m-tron uses ign timing and fuel for dialing in the right setting.
that can cause some weird issues.

I know that I personally ran my saw like this for awhile with no issues at all. Also there is a few other people who have done this that I've talked to and there's is ok. I ended up putting the M-tron carb back on and kept the tunable carb as a backup (because it was still under warranty and if I needed to take it back for an issue I didn't want the warranty to be voided) to see if it would mess up again and it did about 3 weeks after I put it on. Mine is a 2016 model. It originally had a 4700D coil in it. I was having lots of problems with it and I asked the dealer if they could put all new updated M-tronic system in it (becauseit was still under warranty). They just upgraded the coil to a 4701A and didn't upgrade anything else ran ok for awhile then was acting up. Maybe because they didn't upgrade the carb and the solenoid?

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just picked up the last three pages here. Missed the thread somehow. What I need to know is right here. Letting you guys figure this thing out has helped me look at it from a non users point of view and not cook a new 661 on the mill, Thanks! So....the main problem lies in the software updates and the heat soak is what I hear being complained about the most. These saw are pretty good on power IMO having run many off them in different trim @ GTG's.

Almost a 100% chance a 661 with the WJ-140 has the latest firmware unless it is a refurb saw or otherwise cobbled together series of upgrades that somehow excluded the control module (coil). The WJ-140 also has the newest solenoid version which supposedly has finally arrived at a consistent level of performance and longevity. My understanding is that it will be blue or green. (The earlier solenoids being either white or black.) That said, v3.0 firmaware does still work with a WJ-134 carb and solenoid, but the solenoid for a WJ-134 currently can't be upgraded to the WJ-140 solenoid. There is supposed to be a universal solenoid upgrade available somewhere down the road that will fit the older carbs but I've been hearing that rumor for over a year with no hard evidence that it is scheduled for release to the dealers..., at least here in America. Then again I haven't looked into it for awhile, either. There may be new developments on that front that I'm unaware of.
241 362 661 are the only moronix saws I'm interested in. Strange that the 241 seems to have the least issues or the most unreported. When the colors change so does the material batch normally. Think about how in the hell you could make a universal plastic for all fuel in all countries. See my point? Moving on. The thermal expansion of the plastic parts increases with sizes and usually causes more issues hot or cold. Think about it. Does Aluminum give you trouble in the cold or heat? Nuff said there.
My understanding for the solenoids is yes. Control module upgrades for the whole M-tronic series? I seriously doubt it. MS362 and MS661, yes. The others? Who knows...
Me too. Doubt it. Their still working on plastic formulas more than likely.
Before I get more pissed off than I already am I'm gonna try these new green solenoids and hope for the best, I'm so tired of messing with some of these computer saws I cant even convey it by typing.

Idk about you guys..but I tried the part number for that latest solenoid and my parts dude said it's not a valid number yet and nothing showed up.
Green always seems to be the "majick colour" why, is that?....green O-rings...GFL and GFY.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know that I personally ran my saw like this for awhile with no issues at all. Also there is a few other people who have done this that I've talked to and there's is ok. I ended up putting the M-tron carb back on and kept the tunable carb as a backup (because it was still under warranty and if I needed to take it back for an issue I didn't want the warranty to be voided) to see if it would mess up again and it did about 3 weeks after I put it on. Mine is a 2016 model. It originally had a 4700D coil in it. I was having lots of problems with it and I asked the dealer if they could put all new updated M-tronic system in it (becauseit was still under warranty). They just upgraded the coil to a 4701A and didn't upgrade anything else ran ok for awhile then was acting up. Maybe because they didn't upgrade the carb and the solenoid?
Are you using E free fuel?

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm leaving my 2 just the way they are.

My advice on the 661, just don't try to keep running it when it is low on fuel, I don't care what version you get.
I cant tell you how many times I have run different 661s completely out of fuel and have not experienced the same starting issues.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe you. With my 261 the guy was up in a tree and tried starting it several times when it was low on fuel. I suspect the filter was not fully covered.

It would run for a few seconds and then die. He did this about 6 time, insisting the saw had fuel.

M Tron is designed to protect against air leaks, and trust me, you don't want your saw to go into "rich mode".

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just picked up the last three pages here. Missed the thread somehow. What I need to know is right here. Letting you guys figure this thing out has helped me look at it from a non users point of view and not cook a new 661 on the mill, Thanks! So....the main problem lies in the software updates and the heat soak is what I hear being complained about the most. These saw are pretty good on power IMO having run many off them in different trim @ GTG's.

241 362 661 are the only moronix saws I'm interested in. Strange that the 241 seems to have the least issues or the most unreported. When the colors change so does the material batch normally. Think about how in the hell you could make a universal plastic for all fuel in all countries. See my point? Moving on. The thermal expansion of the plastic parts increases with sizes and usually causes more issues hot or cold. Think about it. Does Aluminum give you trouble in the cold or heat? Nuff said there.

Me too. Doubt it. Their still working on plastic formulas more than likely.

Green always seems to be the "majick colour" why, is that?....green O-rings...GFL and GFY.

Oddly enough, we have a 261 that's about 2 months old that isnt ran any different than the other saws ( minus the 201 ) and it's been trouble free..how can one saw be so fukked up and others just fine...got me.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moparmyway has done this already. If Im not mistaken he put the saw back to mtron. Said it gained very little.

I spent 12 hours playing with coils and carbs in me day on one. It never gained more than .1 in a cut time in a cant. I decided I was giving up on it and put it back mtronic. The euro coil is still limited at 14k if I remember right.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Make sure it's M-tronic v3.0 with the latest WJ-140 carb and you run high quality synthetic oil at 40:1. (Buy the HP-Ultra for starters to "double your warranty".) .

One more quick question would you run the HP-Ultra (I have heard some bad things about the stihl oils) in it or just use it for other saws? I normally run Yamaha 2R in my saws