High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Has the 661 been proven like the 066/660?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess that nails it down! LOL

Saw is not flooding. Just the opposite. No fuel getting through the carb to the cylinder either.

Is there a solenoid workaround spark test? The last response to this question wasn't very conclusive.

jonnystihl

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess that nails it down! LOL

Saw is not flooding. Just the opposite. No fuel getting through the carb to the cylinder either.

Is there a solenoid workaround spark test? The last response to this question wasn't very conclusive.
Find a dealer with the mdg or buy a new module if you have confirmed no spark is present.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone here have the TI's for the module history on these saws? 4701-A was mentioned earlier as (presumably) what is desired these days. The IPL I'm working from lists an 1144 400 4710. Here's what's on the 661 I'm trying to get running.

0408181917_resized.jpg

As mentioned somewhere along the line, it's a 2~3 year old saw that was running perfectly before some recent crash damage. Can't believe gettin' banged around a little would kill the coil, but that's what it's looking like at this point. Just went through the harness, switch, terminal connections and all that again. Everything spec'd good according to the book. Heard (read?) somewhere these coils are warrantied beyond the normal warranty? Should be if they aren't.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone here have the TI's for the module history on these saws? 4701-A was mentioned earlier as (presumably) what is desired these days. The IPL I'm working from lists an 1144 400 4710. Here's what's on the 661 I'm trying to get running.

As mentioned somewhere along the line, it's a 2~3 year old saw that was running perfectly before some recent crash damage. Can't believe gettin' banged around a little would kill the coil, but that's what it's looking like at this point. Just went through the harness, switch, terminal connections and all that again. Everything spec'd good according to the book. Heard (read?) somewhere these coils are warrantied beyond the normal warranty? Should be if they aren't.

It might be worth checking out but I read somewhere that all the ignition and exhaust components were covered longer as some sort of EPA thing.

@Mastermind or @Redbull661 should be able to tell you the most recent coil and solenoid combo.

jonnystihl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wrecked vehicles usually aren't covered by warranty. Just saying.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No damage to the coil or that area of the saw at all as is obvious in the picture. If there's no additional warranty on the modules, there's no additional warranty on the modules. Was simply asking if anyone here knew if there was. You evidently don't.
Just sayin'...

jonnystihl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No damage to the coil or that area of the saw at all as is obvious in the picture. If there's no additional warranty on the modules, there's no additional warranty on the modules. Was simply asking if anyone here knew if there was. You evidently don't.
Just sayin'...
A good dealer could probably get it warrantied for you. How good is your dealer? I wouldn' take it in smashed up though.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw is completely rebuilt, though my dealer knows the whole story anyway. He's great and knows the entire history of this saw, including the big end bearing failure he got pushed through Herndon for me as a warranty job even though the saw was beyond warranty. They covered everything except labor knowing full well there were big end issues with certain assemblies. The saw was also originally bought from him, so he's conscientious about keeping the customer happy on both our accounts..., and has enough clout to do it where other dealers probably wouldn't.

All the above said, I've received the info I was looking for thanks to a great member here who chose to do it on the side rather than get long-winded in the thread. I'll report on anything that comes from it after seeing where my dealer stands.

jonnystihl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I came across wrong. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't think it's fair for the dealer to warranty a smashed saw that's 2 year out of warranty to "keep a customer happy"

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw is completely rebuilt, though my dealer knows the whole story anyway. He's great and knows the entire history of this saw, including the big end bearing failure he got pushed through Herndon for me as a warranty job even though the saw was beyond warranty. They covered everything except labor knowing full well there were big end issues with certain assemblies. The saw was also originally bought from him, so he's conscientious about keeping the customer happy on both our accounts..., and has enough clout to do it where other dealers probably wouldn't.

All the above said, I've received the info I was looking for thanks to a great member here who chose to do it on the side rather than get long-winded in the thread. I'll report on anything that comes from it after seeing where my dealer stands.

Please let us know how it goes. I believe the coil and solenoid would fall under the Emission Control System section 5 of this document.

Attachments

• Limited-Warranty-Policy.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 15

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think it's fair for the dealer to warranty a smashed saw that's 2 year out of warranty to "keep a customer happy"

Not even possible and no dealer would attempt to push something like that through the system if they ever wanted to have another legit warranty claim honored in their lifetime. But a dealer that goes the extra mile for a customer is worth his weight in gold compared to typical dealers that disappear after a sale and try their hardest to NOT honor warranty claims in fear of pissing off their regional distributors.

Keeping customers happy is the name of the game, son.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 661 might as well be a tier 4 diesel when you have one that pulls the won't start hot crap and you have to go looking for a second man to hold the trigger flat while you pull it over, not having a zip tie handy and all.
I found the less you reset (don't reset the saw at all) the hot start issue seems to go away in a few weeks with daily use,reset the saw and its back! well thats in my experience with them anyway.
Only question I have is how does redbull get any hrs on a 661 having only owned a measly 15 or so of them must be busy lol. I used to get years of daily use out of one saw more so the older 660/066 the 661 meh happy to be out of that game now.

Same with mine sometimes, I just put my left foot on the handlebar and hold the throttle and crank it...it usually works.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's funny hearing people talk about m-tronic saws like they are tier 4 diesel engines. They are put together the same way as your old saws you've been running. I think most just fear change.

I love the new stihl saws compared to the old. I've had over 10 of them by now, I never had an issue worth talking about until my newest 201 and this 661.

jonnystihl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not even possible and no dealer would attempt to push something like that through the system if they ever wanted to have another legit warranty claim honored in their lifetime. But a dealer that goes the extra mile for a customer is worth his weight in gold compared to typical dealers that disappear after a sale and try their hardest to NOT honor warranty claims in fear of pissing off their regional distributors.

Keeping customers happy is the name of the game, son.
Good luck with your saw dad. Lol

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please let us know how it goes. I believe the coil and solenoid would fall under the Emission Control System section 5 of this document.

Thanks for the reference info. No joy from my dealer yet on replacing the coil. Needs to talk to Stihl first. 'Course depending on who he talks to, they may be clueless anyway. And his MDG 1 setup is still down. Convenient, huh? Only other dealer within 50 miles who has the diagnostic capability wants $100 just to plug in and it's a 3 day wait. Good thing I'm not in any hurry. Sheesh.

Better news is that a dealer just around the corner from me who hasn't had their own service department for years is gearing up to do a limited amount of service and has ordered the latest MDG diagnostic setup which I should have free access to. Unfortunately, it's been a back order item from our regional distributor for some reason. May have an update on that today with any luck.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was able to convince my preferred dealer that the coil should be covered under the 2 year extended warranty for EPA related components as described in the attached document. Stihl agrees on the control modules, but that's where it stops. Solenoids are not covered, nor are air filters, carbs, etc. They fall under the original warranty provided to the owner at the time of sale.

All new ECU's will be the 4703 v.3 coil and use the new calibration procedure.( Check the v.3 thread here for additional info...
http://opeforum.com/threads/stihl-m-tronic-version-3-0.12472/ ) They are supposedly backward compatible with any of the previously released solenoids, but a new solenoid is also being released to address several issues among all the M-tronic saws.

I found a low-use WJ-134 for this saw on ebay but decided to bite the bullet on a new one anyway along with the new control module. If I'm lucky it may have the new solenoid, though there isn't any official tech info in wide distribution indicating they are being shipped yet, just a subtle suggestion from the distributor that they may be starting to ship any day now. They're green, so will be easily distinguishable from earlier versions.

Lastly, there's been chatter here and there about the 4700C and 4700D 661 coils having an unlimited lifetime replacement warranty. May be true for someone who buys ten 661's at a time and has a cozy relationship with a regional distributor, but it is NOT a nationally accepted policy by Stihl USA or their distributors in general. Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't know the facts and is clearly receiving preferential treatment if they are indeed getting free replacement ECU's for out of warranty units. I'll just leave that there with no further comment except to say I spent a lot of time researching the matter among several highly informed sources and am quite confident in the validity of my assertion. Just trying to save anyone else the time and aggravation I went through myself trying to convince several dealers and a distributor that I knew better than they what their actual policies were because I..., well...., read it on the internet and believed it..., like a d***ass. Sure made myself look like one.

Anyway, here' s the policy document that's basically the origin of the emissions warranty statement provided above by GC for anyone who may be interested.

Attachments

• Stihl Federal-Emission-Control-Warranty-Statement-(Not-for-California).pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Are the new coils compatible with all mtronic saws? 241s through 661s? All the same? All backwards compatible?