High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Has Maco pistons and cylinders gotten any better through the years?

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for the poor lighting.:beer-toast1:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you come across any MS 440s or 12 mm 044 suitable for converting to hybrids (ie burnt P+C), let me know, I'm interested.

Or, even if you just come across some good OEM cranks, I'll use Asian for the rest (and I have one each OEM 460 + 046pistons and cylinder.

I'm on the fence about using OEM P+C with an Asian crank.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have the flipping part number for the non f cast caber rings for the ms440 for the life of me I can't find the darn thing all I can find is the f cast rings.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately not my saw so it's getting what it's getting.lol but how much do you want for the Piston and cylinder I've always have a need for one lots of 044 ms440s around my neck of the woods?
PM me if interested. Just pulled it off a low hour saw I hybridized.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have the flipping part number for the non f cast caber rings for the ms440 for the life of me I can't find the darn thing all I can find is the f cast rings.
Just ask @Definitive Dave , he sells them.

I got burned with AM pistons and rings before. Could be wrong by the pic, but those look like 1.5mm ring grooves vs. standard oem 1.2mm grooves.

Standard OEM rings for the 044/MS440 are 50mm x 1.2mm. There will say “Caber” on them and not “Caber-F”.

I had a Golf piston in an MS360 once. I mistook the dot matrix “G” for the dot matrix “S” on a Stihl oem piston. I put 2 new 1.2mm cabers on it and it went boom in 2 cuts.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I got burned with AM pistons and rings before. Could be wrong by the pic, but those look like 1.5mm ring grooves vs. standard oem 1.2mm grooves.

Standard OEM rings for the 044/MS440 are 50mm x 1.2mm. There will say “Caber” on them and not “Caber-F”.

I had a Golf piston in an MS360 once. I mistook the dot matrix “G” for the dot matrix “S” on a Stihl oem piston. I put 2 new 1.2mm cabers on it and it went boom in 2 cuts.
Yeah I was going to measure the rings today before I did anything I made that mistake ones a few years ago not thinking and same thing happened ran great for a couple cuts then ouch.lol

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Good point Doc.
Did the same thing to a 361 am golf piston :facepalm:
It would not stick to a tune. Pulled the muffler after half a tank and thought,:elboinas: wow it didn't go boom. I still have it. Just as a reminder :eusa_dance: got lucky!

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be getting rings for it next month he's not prest on getting the saw back ASAP or anything so I'll be taking my time with it. Taking the little woman out for her birthday dinner broke the bank.lol but she's well worth it. Thanks for the heads up drf256. I'll pm you for price and let you know when I'll be able to snag the cylinder and piston from you.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good cylinder, hum....you must get some real junk sent to you. I would have sent that back or trashed it. I did get a few of those years ago....found out real quickly it's not worth my time to mess with those *s-wordty ports. It takes a few hours to make a runner but not a very good one. I'll try to get a few pics of an am bb I have here for an 1122 saw. The next best was one of four and that is on a Dolkita 54mm and still needs a "real" piston.

Edit:

The best casting I have seen is the 54mm 460 jugs. Got one here given to me. It pulled the piston top off and locked up. Lasted two months on a crew. Flat exhaust top and bottom.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good cylinder, hum....you must get some real junk sent to you. I would have sent that back or trashed it. I did get a few of those years ago....found out real quickly it's not worth my time to mess with those *s-wordty ports. It takes a few hours to make a runner but not a very good one. I'll try to get a few pics of an am bb I have here for an 1122 saw. The next best was one of four and that is on a Dolkita 54mm and still needs a "real" piston.

Edit:

The best casting I have seen is the 54mm 460 jugs. Got one here given to me. It pulled the piston top off and locked up. Lasted two months on a crew. Flat exhaust top and bottom.
Oh yeah I've definitely have gotten worse than this one by far I don't mind putting the work in this one I've got a few cylinders that I used for paper waits lol.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I finally got back home ug and went straight to measuring the Ring's there 1.2mm or just shy of it drf256 so pictures can mess with you a little bit lol but it probably didn't help me taking the picture up close and personal with my phone.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update I will not be using the maco piston I did some port work on the cylinder and decided to use a different position the maco cylinder is good enough with the loving I gave it but the Piston its just not good enough for my taste. So next finish port work and get final time numbers where I like them and get the squish where I want it. I'll also be getting the non f caber rings next month and off she goes to be put back to work.:beer-toast1:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meteor Pistons are top notch and come with Caber rings … and they don't break the bank!
Yeah but I've been holding on to a Hyway piston for a while now so I figured just use it and that will be one piston that I don't have to worry about anymore.lol and it still three times better.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I finally got back home ug and went straight to measuring the Ring's there 1.2mm or just shy of it drf256 so pictures can mess with you a little bit lol but it probably didn't help me taking the picture up close and personal with my phone.
Chamfers can mess up what one sees.

Caber rings have beveled edges as well. A few times that I needed a 1.5mm, I viewed the replacement Caber next to the oem ring I was using to time the jug. I would’ve sworn it was too thin, but it was just chamfered/tapered/beveled at the business end.

Cabers have grooves around them and also are beveled. I wonder if it’s a superior design to OEM in some cases. Less drag for the same size ring with the same sealing.