High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Has Maco pistons and cylinders gotten any better through the years?

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I know there's been poles on what pistons and cylinders to use we all know OEM is the way to go and everyone is stuck on meteor or cross but in the past some people said good and bad on the Maco and I would like to know if there quality has improved at all? And go!!!!!:angryyell:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never seen a Maco, but I also hear good things about Highway, and I kinda like New West even though their porting sucks!

(I think the combustion chamber and plating look good on the New West, so if you want to port something it may be a good choice, but their porting is horrible) (My experience is with their MS440 BB P+C).

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven’t seen a Mako in the last four or five years. They were a “decent” option for 066s, but were typical aftermarket in terms of consistency. Nice plating as I recall, but not as nice as Hyway or Meteor.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mako was just another labelling for the typical Chinese cylinders, there are a billion different "brands" all selling the same cheap stuff which might not be bad but most brands are just an excuse to confuse buyers as to what they are really getting.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never seen a Maco, but I also hear good things about Highway, and I kinda like New West even though their porting sucks!

(I think the combustion chamber and plating look good on the New West, so if you want to port something it may be a good choice, but their porting is horrible) (My experience is with their MS440 BB P+C).
I've ported a few New West cylinders and have to agree with you there port's are pretty ugly lol I'm just wondering if the Maco line has gotten better through the years I haven't touched one for three years and it was pretty good for what it was but now I got one coming next week for a 440 that my tree service buddy has and he wanted me to get a Maco for it I told him the money he makes he should just buy a OEM then he surprised me with a answer of him and his girlfriend are having a baby in seven months.lol so yep he's on the cheap but I can make it run strong I'm just hoping the QC has improved a bit is all.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mako was just another labelling for the typical Chinese cylinders, there are a billion different "brands" all selling the same cheap stuff which might not be bad but most brands are just an excuse to confuse buyers as to what they are really getting.
Well I know they aren't perfect but they were still better than some of the aftermarket ones I've delt with.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The hyway and new west are the best of the am options
Meteor of course.
Haven't seen mako for a long time.
I guess I'm going to be the Ginny pig once again.lol

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tecomec made some damn fine 272 372 cylinders
But the newest one's are relabeled china stuff.
I'm told

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What saw?
Hyway bb 372 popup impressed me.
Ms440. I ordered the Piston and cylinder yesterday so we will see ether way if they improved or not just wanted to know if anyone else has used Maco stuff lately.:Saeufer:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have a 440 AM kit here off a runner. The only numbers on it, 22 stamped on the side of the lower cylinder base. It is very heavy and has nice ports. The piston was wasted. 044 12mm
Never saw another cheap AM this nice for fit and ports in 044.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a 440 AM kit here off a runner. The only numbers on it, 22 stamped on the side of the lower cylinder base. It is very heavy and has nice ports. The piston was wasted. 044 12mm
Never saw another cheap AM this nice for fit and ports in 044.
Yeah the AM stuff is a crab shoot I've dealt with some good and bad cylinders some you get and go wow very nice then some you go wow what the heck are they thinking.lol

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's almost here. Most likely be in my hands tomorrow or Tuesday. And as some of you can guess I'll be porting it oh yeah can't wait tired of just boring fixes lol.:beer-toast1:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get why AM is attractive, but after the amount of extra work needed, I don’t see the point over good used OEM (if available).

Even if you get it right, it’s almost impossible to sell the saw.

I have a good used 12mm oem top end (P&C) if anyone is interested. Low use saw.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get why AM is attractive, but after the amount of extra work needed, I don’t see the point over good used OEM (if available).

Even if you get it right, it’s almost impossible to sell the saw.

I have a good used 12mm oem top end (P&C) if anyone is interested. Low use saw.
Unfortunately not my saw so it's getting what it's getting.lol but how much do you want for the Piston and cylinder I've always have a need for one lots of 044 ms440s around my neck of the woods?

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok got some free time lol more like a hour she took off for a drive to town. I'm pretty happy with what I see with the cylinder the way the transfers are they remind me of the 10mm 044 nice and deep tunnels bit definitely need some help but I was expecting that lol intake and exhaust port shape are ok the chamfer of the platting yea typical for any AM cylinder need help lol platting itself is really nice piston is good for the most part the windows are a bit small but clean its not shinny like all the other AM pistons it's got the doll Finnish like a OEM piston piston and cylinder have a good amount of wait to them the rings not sure what type they are look like cast rings like most. So do I run the Piston that's the only thing I want to know I'm going to be thinking on that while I'm porting the cylinder in a few days.IMG_20190715_142244.jpg IMG_20190715_142214.jpg IMG_20190715_142202.jpg IMG_20190715_142108.jpg IMG_20190715_142058.jpg